Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Telstra removing BPay..

There is a lot of angst in posts about Telstras email advice to customers of removal of the BPay option..

I stumbled across this article today which might clarify it a bit further..  but is just an article, not the detailed comment we should be seeing from Telstra as a clarification..

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/10/telstra-is-phasing-out-bpay/

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra removing BPay..

I will never use direct debit with telstra.  I have had too many account stuff ups to trust them.  You can bet you will have to wait quite a while to get your money back if they overcharge you. I am prepared to cancel all my services if they decide to force direct debit or don't support something I deem acceptable.  I don't think I would be alone either.

Highlighted

I will not use direct debit especially if your bills fluctuate. I have never had a good experience with direct debit. If Telstra goes ahead with this my family will not stay with Telstra. I also have relatives who are pensioners who feel exactly the same. 

Highlighted

Telstra says they are doing this to simplify their products and services. There is nothing more simple for consumers than using Bpay to pay bills and we should not be forced to use direct debit. This is only about making things simpler for them not its customers.

Highlighted

I don't have any problem with paying via a transfer ( direct debit ) from my account when this is under my control with regards to when the payment is made. However, based on the severe problems I have experienced in the past with Telstra I am not at all comfortable in Telstra having this control, and the ability to making payments Automatic.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks to BPay, the control of my finances is in my own hands. Because of this I'm actually ahead in my bills, able to pay bills when I know money is in the account. Oh look, I've paid so far ahead that if I cancel at the end of my contract next month, they'll owe me money. 

Getting rid of BPay is solely in their interest, not their customers. I will not continue my contract if they choose to corner their customers like this.

Highlighted

We should not be forced to pay via direct debit. This is so wrong Telstra, I just hope it is not a case of we won't have a choice and that we will still be able to pay in person at the local post office. I tried to find out about this with the 24/7 chat but you only get a virtual assistant and it never tells you what you want to know plus it always tells me that everyone else is unavailable to help.

Highlighted

Do we have to go over to direct debit? I rang Telstra and they told me that I would have to and basically said that I wouldn't be able to pay bill in person at local post office anymore either which is how we usually do it and would prefer to do it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit