Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Unauthorised Netflix Charges on Telstra bill

Mum's been charged for Netflix... she could no way have connected the t-box, navigated, set it up to bill and signed up.  It's fraud or something else.

There are three possible email addresses that it might have signed up as including the main bigpond.com email and NETFLIX.com isn't recognising any of those email addresses, not even the bigpond.com email address - so what is going on?

Can't speak to Telstra due to no call centre availability due to Coronavirus (March 2020) so can't discuss this.  Can't even switch off third party billing through Telstra bill.... How can I do that through my account? 

Don't want any opportunity to charge for Movies, Netflix or other through Telstra bill.
There's a way to do it that Telstra can provision... how can I do it through MY ACCOUNT.

Whilst I understand Coronavirus is a significant disruption... it's convenient that it means I won't be able to dispute these charges or switch off third party billing through the bill without Telstra.  Unless there's a way... anyone? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Unauthorised Netflix Charges on Telstra bill

When I rang Telstra about the unauthorised Netflix charged to my last month's Telstra Bill, they told me it was a mistake and they have removed it from my last bill.  She said it has happened to other customers lately. I asked them to make sure the netflix charge of $13.99 must not appear again in my next bill which is now my current bill.  Of course they didn't honour their word, and yes the same amount is back on my current bill. I have tried to ring since last week and today with no success due to the unavailability of call centres in light of the Coronivirus.  So, I am not going to pay the bill when I have not subscribed to Netflix and there is no one to resolve this ongoing Netflix unauthorised charge.

Highlighted

Sorry - I can't help you. The same thing has happened to all 3 of my mobile services. I have received a charge of $19.99 for each of my three numbers on the latest bill for supposed Netflix services. Netflix have no record of these services. I certainly did not requested the 3 services as I have Netflix already. No help desk due to Coronavirus so I am also stuck. I have removed my auto debit payment and have short paid my account by $59.97. Hopefully this will solve the problem till the help desk becomes available.

Highlighted

Hi Five-Star,

I have the same problem. Charged $19.99 for Netflix on my Telstra bill without even having to sign up!  Tried to contact Telstra help but no-one wants to chat.  Tried Netflix who said there was no account attached to my Telstra email & consequently, no payment method attached.

I have decided to delete my direct debit payment plan with Telstra & just pay the bill less the Netflix charge.  I'm sure they will contact me.... eventually.

Highlighted

I have the same problem. I have just discovered I have been being charge for Netflix since NBN install and this is not something I chose, nor was it included in my package (reviewed my contract). I tried to all the customer service channels to organise a refund but the online chat doesn't work and the phone path is shut. I just need to talk with billing. Very irritating. How about they set up an email or cal back option?

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi All

Apologies for any issues getting support for your billing enquiry.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve made the decision to pause all late fees and service disconnections from 19 March through 30 April 2020. 

Our team have received your bill query if you have sent us a message in the My Telstra App, however while there is a delay in processing these at the moment, rest assured you won’t incur a late fee or a service suspension while this is reviewed. 

If you have not yet done so, please send us a message through the My Telstra App, messages are being responded to in order of urgency.

If you have had issues messaging us, please ensure you have updated the 24x7 App to the My Telstra App, as the message/chat function works differently.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

This has now happened to us too for the second month in a row, a charge for Netflix subscription of $19.99. Frustration level is at a peak as the on line automated message system doesn’t help and have just spent close to 1 hour trying to speak to a person. Why is this so hard to rectify????.

Highlighted

Definitely some kind of fraud happening at Telstra. We had this issue for 10 months. Got the ombudsman involved and it didn’t appear again. However, the following months have shown other $10 charges. I wish there was some class action about an investigation into these fraudulent charges. 

Highlighted

Same happened to me $19.99 charge, that netflix couldn't find. Eventually got through to Telstra Billing who removed the charge and guaranteed it would not be on there again, but suprise suprise it is. The Ombudsman seems like a good idea, I am sick of spending so much time trying to get through to them

Highlighted

Has anyone had this sorted yet?

This is now 8 monthly bills in a row I've had to contact telstra to get that $13.99 charge removed

I have a complaint "resolution" email from 3 months ago which didn't resolve anything that I now keep just replying to and get the credit again but next bill it's back again

Maybe ombudsman is the way to go 

Highlighted

I am in the same boat. I had a basic Netflix subscription through PayPal and then found from March that I was also being billed through Telstra an additional $19.99 per month through Telstra.

Tried to get Telstra to cancel, was told Netflix had to do this. Cancelled my Netflix subscription via PayPal and confirmed via Netflix that my account had been suspended but am still being billed $19.99 via Telstra!

Telstra seem to be saying that I have to cancel an account with Nexflix that does not exist in order to avoid paying the charge.

I am in the process of complaining to Telstra but it looks like I'll have to go to the Ombudsman as well :-(.

At least I am not alone!

Highlighted

I just noticed something - when I logged into my Telstra account and scrolled down went to my offers - view all streaming offers - then down the bottom it has a - manage subscriptions - and in there it had Netflix as a current subscription from 22/07/2020 (the start of my last bill cycle) - so I went into it and selected cancel and it says "Netflix will no longer appear on your Telstra bill - you will need to setup an account with them to continue watching" - mind you I had just contacted Telstra say 5 days ago and they said they had removed Netflix (again) - - - - I had never noticed that manage subscriptions section before - hopefully fingers crossed this will work

Highlighted

Thanks.....I hope it works. I have more confidence it talking to a Telstra computer than a Telstra human.

Now, hopefully, all I have to do is try and get a refund 🤣

Highlighted

This is happening to me EVERY month for more than a year now and I am sick of it. They say it won’t happen again... yet it does. What is happening Telstra???? 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit