SupInfinity
Level 5: Eagle Eye

upfront plans DD

how will changing a plan work on these new ones if DD is only payment option and change date is payment date too. does changing a plan to medium eg from small half way thru restart the monthly date. how can thy system instantly calculate the small prorated credit before the Medium DD simultaneously. Or does it credit later to second month? And if only DD how can account be credited ourselves, Bpay, other? what if more than one service, multiple DDs?  where’s the facts in writing about all this, in reality?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: upfront plans DD

With monthly billing, any credit applied after the first bill carries to the second billing cycle.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

You can't make payments using BPay as Telstra has been phasing that payment method out.

Not sure if you can make payments outside, the Direct Debits as there is nothing published about that. In the standard (non-upfront) plans, you can make extra payments using Credit Card/PayPal through My Telstra.

The way the product description is written, the payment cycle is set for each service individually, so unless a Telstra rep can confirm that the payments can be merged into a single monthly billing payment, it would appear that you would have an individual AutoPay (direct debit) for each service.

The changing of plans is not explicitly mentioned in the Upfront Plan documentation. If you go by the CIS then you would be charged the amount for the upgraded plan immediately and the monthly billing date would also be reset. I don't know how their new system works, but it would be fairly simple for the system to do the prorata calculation on the spot and just adjust the payments, but if it can't do that, then I would guess that the prorata credit for a mid-month plan change would be credited to your account at the next bill.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SupInfinity

thanks.  tho why wouldn’t this info be available before? including if we have to stop the DD(s) of switched from plan(s), or not? i’m guessing not, hoping actually.  oh and what are the standard plans? t a. 

Jupiter

Telstra hasn't got their head around the art of communications, so they provide the bare minimum of information. Most of the time, that is enough, but in the case of the introduction of the Upfront Plans it would have been nice for them to prepare an explainer document for people who are changing from the month to month plans to the Upfront Plans. Especially as the terminology that they use has changed.

The "standard plans" are the ones that existed prior to the Upfront Plans (ie the month to month plans).

I'm lead to believe that the AutoPay system that is used for the Upfront Plans is different to the Direct Debit system that the previous plans used. So if you change to an Upfront Plan, you will probably have to set up the Direct Debit again (the old Direct Debit should automatically cease if you are asked to set up a new AutoPay).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SupInfinity

heh, their woeful customer service comes from the top i guess.  lastly tho, in just the autopay plans, changing up or down ourself means that the newly established DD will just continue regardless of price change, including just telstra’s eventually? 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit