Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Your home internet plan is changing. Here’s what’s next.

Got an email yesterday with the above topic.

Can't phone them -   text only accepted.

Suspicious as it came through GMail, not Telstra or Bigpond and asks for passport number etc.

What the hell is going on??? Genuine or scam??

Reads: "

As part of our commitment to simplify our products, we’re moving customers to our latest internet plans.
From 6 September 2020, your plan will be upgraded to the Unlimited Internet plan. The minimum monthly cost of your new plan is $90 but to help with the transition, we’re giving you a $5 discount so the monthly fee you’ll pay is $85. If you change to another plan your discount will no longer apply.
Your new plan gives you more data and is month-to-month, meaning you can change plan if your needs change.
Your new plan comes with unlimited data and you keep your nbn Standard Plus internet speed.
Plus, your new plan includes:
• unlimited calls to standard local, national and Australian mobile numbers. • reduced rates for international calls, starting at 1c/minute plus a 55c call connection fee. Check call rates here.
Data to suit your needs
If your needs have changed, you may wish to consider our $75 plan before
3 September 2020 which includes 500GB data a month on nbn Standard Evening Speed. More information available here.

What’s next?
You don’t need to do anything. Your plan and discount will be updated automatically. On your first bill after 6 September 2020, you may notice charges for any calls that were made before your plan was updated. Any offers associated with your old plan will no longer apply.
As your new plan is month to month, if your needs change, you can change or cancel your plan.
For more information about your new plan inclusions, visit tel.st/90unltd.

What’s next?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Your home internet plan is changing. Here’s what’s next.

The part of the email that you've posted is genuine.

It sounds like a scammer has hijacked a legitimate email to customers and is using it to scam people. Telstra will not ask for Passport Numbers or Credit Card details in an email. They also do not use a gmail account to send emails to customers.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

They DID NOT ask for that info in the email.

I tried pasting the whole email but got a pop-up saying Telstra wouldn't put part of it with a URL in it. Those requests came as a text conversation when my wife tried the number you won't post.

Why hasn't Telstra sent me details that you say are correct and what I need to do to stay on our plan?

Like I said, they WILL NOT take calls on the customer support number over this,

I need FACTS from Telstra about what is happening.

The only reason we weren't hacked is because I saw whar was happening with the call my wife made and cut it off pronto.

Again, SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON THROUGH MY BIGPOND ACCOUNT! 

Angry? NO! I AM FURIOUS!!

Highlighted

I'm sorry, but when you said it came through gmail, you said that they asked for your passport number, etc.

If you can't get through on the 132200 number, send a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi tries to redirect you, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should get transferred to the queue to chat to a human.

If your wife was asked for your passport number through the messaging function in the My Telstra app, then that means that you gave Telstra those details as ID when you signed up and they are trying to verify that you are who you are saying that you are. That's called account security. There are various questions that they might ask, passport or licence details, last bill information, account password.

As far as the plan changes go. Customers are getting migrated to the new plans, so you won't be able to stay on your existing plan, but you may change to one of the other current plans without penalty.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit