Level 2: Rookie

Upgrade to NBN

Answered

Dear Team, I have received your offer to upgrade to NBN with thanks. Before my husband and I decide to proceed to switch, we have the following questions: 1. Our home phone has not been working for several years, and so when we upgrade do we get a new home phone so that we can make and receive calls. 2. With the upgrade, do we get a new Telstra Smart Modem as I noticed in the offer that it is only for new customers. Thank you. Pingku

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Upgrade to NBN

Hi Jupiter,

Ok thanks for your kind advise and we will go into a Telstra shop to check.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

The Telstra NBN plans do not include a handset. You would need to purchase one either from a Telstra Store or from somewhere like Officeworks.

If your current modem is NBN compatible (ie VDSL and phone port), you probably won't be sent a Telstra Smart Modem. You can add one for $9 per month over 2 years.

Note: migration to an NBN connection in an NBN enabled area is required to be done within 18 months of the NBN becoming serviceable in an area as the old system is turned off at that point and you will lose all phone/internet access.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for your kind advice.

1. Since we had not been using the phone so for long we think we can do without it.  Can we still migrate with without phone service. If yes how do we go about it and how much will the cost be for the NBN Service?  

2. How can we tell the existing modem for our service is compatible. Are you able to check and let us know?

Thank you.

All Telstra NBN Plans include a phone service as part of the plan, so there is no change in cost if you don't use it.

Which model modem do you have? It will be written on a label either on the back or bottom of the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hi Jupiter,

I'll check and let you know when I finish work and go home today.  In the meanwhile, you are not able to check with your Support Team as to what was supplied when we came onboard Telstra? Given that we had been a loyal customer all these years, and we had been paying $80 per month, we certainly hope that Telstra can reward us with a new phone and modem. Much appreciate if you could consider. 

Thanks you.

Pingku

We are just customers like yourself and have no access to Telstra's systems. Crowdsupport is not an official tech support channel (other than for Sports Streaming Products such as AFL Live).

Telstra stopped providing handsets as part of home phone services many years ago. They do sell them though.

Accepted Solution

Hi Jupiter,

Ok thanks for your kind advise and we will go into a Telstra shop to check.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit