Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Broadband Speed

We have recently installed our own backup server and it is working fine. The issue that it is causing us is with our CAD software that requires internet connection. Apparently our upload speed is now too poor for the CAD software to function correctly. I am getting a download speed of 12.34mbps upload speed 0.81mbps, which I thought was ok. This is the reply from CAD support. I am really not wanting to get rid of my server having just invested in it. So is it my internet connection causing me issues? We are on the Far South Coast of NSW, using ADSL 2

That upload speed is very very bad.  On top of that you are running a cloud backup program on the PC.  If that cloud backup program does a sync at the same time CAD tries to use the internet, CAD is going to have problems because there just isn’t enough bandwidth for multiple programs to try and use the internet.  You probably also have an antivirus program that will download updates, using bandwidth.  Windows occasionally checks for and download updates.  With that little bit of upload speed, any one of these can make CAD fail  to upload the data it needs to for quick estimates and orders.

If that is the best connection that is available to you, then I would get rid of the cloud backup program.  You just can’t use cloud backup when your bandwidth is that bad and you have other programs that rely on your internet connection (like cad).  In addition, if you have other computers in your store on the same network that have cloud backup programs, I would get rid of those programs as well b/c all of your computers share the same bandwidth.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Broadband Speed

Hi Ruby, 

ADSL2+ has a theoretical maximum upload speed of 1 Mbps so for the type of connection that you have, you're actually getting a fantastic upload speed.

We don't have knowledge of the CAD program to know if your issue is caused by the upload speed - so you'd have to assume that the CAD support people would know what's best for their program in which case you simply mightn't have a connection that can support their service. 

It seems like you may have a Business account, in which case you may want to chat with our Business Teams on 13 22 00 to see if there are an alternative connections types available to you,  that can offer a higher upload speed. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks

I tried to ring but they are busy so I went to Chat and apparently I cant get any better speeds with Telstra.

I need my software to run for my business so I will have to keep looking for some alternative.

Dave

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dave, 

The reply from the CAD support mentions that the if the cloud backup program and the CAD program try to upload at the same time it will 'fail', I'm assuming this is because of the large files associated with a CAD system.   Trying to push all these large files from the CAD software and the cloud backup program out will cause a bottle neck.  Its like 30 people trying to access the 10th floor via an 8 person elevator, it can't happen all at once.

A possible suggestion is to stagger the times that each program preforms a sync with their respective servers.  Your IT people should be able to look into this for you.

You can also check the NBN Co website to see if NBN is available in your area.  You can attain upload speeds from 5Mbps to 40 Mbps depending your the plan you purchase.

Check for NBN availability here: http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more