ric_lewis
Level 2: Rookie

Business Broadband is no guarantee of service

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test

Test run on 31/10/2013 @ 10:40 PM

Mirror: Optus
Data: 2 MB
Test Time: 10.04 secs

Your line speed is 2.08 Mbps (2085 kbps).
Your download speed is 261 KB/s (0.25 MB/s).

During the day, my connection is capable of 2+ megabytes per second sustained download. The above speed occurs every night from 6pm onwards, it's almost guaranteed to be that speed or lower. And sometimes it can drop to around 56K modem speed.

I spoke with Telstra support about this issue, they acknowledge that my DSLAM (Gulliver) is marked as congested, and there are no plans to fix the problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
ric_lewis

Re: Business Broadband is no guarantee of service

Test run on 01/11/2013 @ 09:27 AM

Mirror: Optus
Data: 19 MB
Test Time: 10.13 secs

Your line speed is 15.42 Mbps (15421 kbps).
Your download speed is 1.88 MB/s (1928 KB/s).

ric_lewis

Test run on 02/11/2013 @ 02:21 PM

Mirror: Optus
Data: 3 MB
Test Time: 10.26 secs

Your line speed is 2.84 Mbps (2835 kbps).
Your download speed is 354 KB/s (0.35 MB/s).

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ric_lewis,

Firstly I would recommend running tests using a Telstra/BigPond server if using the Oz Broadband Speed Test.

You can also test different servers on http://www.speedtest.net/ and can also try using  http://speedof.me/

I can confirm that there are DSLAMs within the Gulliver exchange that are impacted by high demand during peak periods. Relieve has been applied in the past, however there is currently no plan to provide further relief. The following link is updated weekly and lists all planned and completed upgrades: DSLAM

On the plus side, NBN is either available or in progress of being built around this area.  You will notice the lime green cable coiled around the pits when it is being built in your street.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ric_lewis

Here's why I didn't want to post results from the Telstra mirror:

Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 10/11/2013 @ 06:11 PM

Mirror: Telstra Bigpond
Data: 4 KB
Test Time: 6.06 secs

Your line speed is 6 kbps (0.01 Mbps).
Your download speed is 1 KB/s (0 MB/s).

It makes the SpeedTest.net result look incredible, though:

Sookla Speedtest

ric_lewis

This is the service I am paying for:

But this is the service I get after 6pm on weekdays and almost all weekend:

If the electricity company provided 20% capacity every single night, or the water company provided 20% water pressure, or your landline telephone only worked 20% of the time, I believe there would be public outcry. Telstra have admitted that the exchange is marked as "congested" and that there are no plans to do anything about it. Congestion comes from overselling your own capacity; I believe this is irresponsible practice on Telstra's part.

I would almost be happy to receive 20% of my maximum speed if Telstra gave me an 80% discount off the price.

On the plus side, the NBN rollout in my area has no activity scheduled for the next 3 years. And with the Coalition in government, that 3 years will most likely be extended further.

- Ric (not on holidays ever)

ric_lewis

In the middle of a work day.

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more