Mickyjj
Level 1: Cadet

Email seems to get to smtp.telstra.com / smtp.telstrabusiness.com but then never delivered or bounce

We use an in-house email server which sends email out to smtp.telstra.com / smtp.telstrabusiness.com (We have tried both servers). We are on Telstra NBN. We have previously tried telling the email server to send to MX records and use DNS resolution but as Telstra have not allowed us to use an RDNS record for our static IP, then this is unreliable due to antispam tools checking RDNS. The way around this is to relay through Telstra. 

The problem we face is our server shows in logs that certain missing emails are successfully relayed to Telstra email servers however, the end recipient never gets the email (Numerous domains) and there is no NDR. (A selection of recipient domains work, a number do not.)

As far as our server is concerned, the email was sent into Telstra's care for delivery. All the logs indicate the email passed to Telstra Successfully.  We have tried using Delivery receipts and read receipts to try and trigger a response. We have also confirmed that the incoming spam filter on the server has not junked any NDR's. 

Is there some way we can request Telstra to track in logs at their end ? Previously we have never been able to find the right person at Telstra to look at these things.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Email seems to get to smtp.telstra.com / smtp.telstrabusiness.com but then never delivered or bo

You would need to send the request to postmaster@bigpond.com with the details, but as it's not a standard use of service (I'm actually surprised that relaying through the Telstra servers works at all - I wonder if the emails that get through are going to domains that are hosted by Telstra), I doubt that you will get very far.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mickyjj

Re: Email seems to get to smtp.telstra.com / smtp.telstrabusiness.com but then never delivered or bo

Thanks for that. I appreciate your feedback. 

When an ISP or RSP will supply an internet connection to a client with a static IP whom run an email server (And we have loads of those our there) and not allow for RDNS, other than a third party SMTP relay service, using the ISP/RSP is the only other choice. Most RSP/ISP's allow RDNS records so mail servers can send via DNS using MX records and avoid this issue Smiley Sad

Unauthenticated relay is generally allowed by every RSP/ISP but only from servers that are attached to Static IP's that belong to the RSP/ISP's range. If you are not using their Internet, sometimes authenticated will work and bounce email through a relay where a person has credentials.

From what I can tell so far, the emails that get through are not Telstra hosted or managed domains.

I will take up your suggestion and see how far I get however, postmaster addresses are hardly checked these days even though I believe the RFC suggests it Smiley Happy

Jupiter

Unfortunately, with Telstra, the postmaster email address is the only way to get in contact with the team that manages the service.

I did have a thought about the business SMTP server. Telstra migrated all the business email accounts away from their own mail servers in the previous 6 months. Also, with the consumer email server, Telstra is no longer accepting new customers or creating new accounts on their Telstra Mail system. It might be that Telstra are in the process of running down their internal email handling capability and this may have had an affect on the relay services as well.

Personally, I wouldn't be counting on the ability to relay as being an ongoing solution. I pay for third party hosting for my email. It's very cost effective given that it is hosted off-site, is backed up and is accessible on any connection. It also allows for all modern verification/authentication techniques to be used.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mickyjj

Thanks. That all makes sense. I just wish Telstra allowed RDNS then this would be a non issue.

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more