Juleslegrand
Level 2: Rookie

My Telstra 3G Sierra USB Dongle for my laptop — Conflicting advice about unlocking it.

I last went to the UK in June 2011 and am going again in a week or two. On that last trip, Telstra had asssured me that my newish iPhone was not only set up for Roaming, but that it had been UNBLOCKED so I could get a SIM card over there and pay much reduced rates for calls & data. I got to London and it was not unblocked. There followed some furious phone calls between me & Apple & Telstra, Apple with Telstra, then Apple with me and that now all was fixed.

I am well aware of the enormous charges for data whilst overseas with our local dongle, so I rang support today to see if my dongle could also be unblocked. The lady who took my call  didn't know, but apparently spoke to three tech. people who gave her conflicting advice — NO, YES & NO. I was told it was only for the Telstra network.

Being unhappy with that result, I went to the website on a Flyer Telstra sent me a few week back entitled, "International Roaming - Tips for Overseas Trips". There was a phone No I rang, and this time scored a direct hit. Telstra have a phone No: 1300 720 179 "The TELSTRA NETWORK UNLOCKING GROUP". I gave them the IMEI No of my dongle, and was told it could be unlocked, that it would cost $27.50 which I gladly paid in the light of previous data bills I'd had whilst overseas.

I had to get online to their site, punch in my credit card No after being given a specific account No  + a Bill No to punch in. That generated a receipt No, and that enabled the officer to give me a code No. I replaced the Telstra SIM in the dongle with the SIM I'd got in London last year, punched the code in and now my dongle is unblocked.

SO, ONCE AGAIN, HOW'S THAT FOR A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE, CONFLICTING ADVICE AT TELSTRA, THAT WOULD PUT OFF ANY ORDINARY JOE BLOW?/*

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: My Telstra 3G Sierra USB Dongle for my laptop — Conflicting advice about unlocking it.

to be honest if I want to do something like this and I'm unsure on what the policy is I generally Google what I want to unlock first to get a heads up before I pick up the phone and ask, I find making the call with an idea of what other people have been able to do prior often helps

sure it would be great if any rep you spoke to knew the whole process inside out but reality says it's better to arm yourself with a bit of knowledge first

I travel often as well and know how frustrating it can be when dealing with problems remotely
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: My Telstra 3G Sierra USB Dongle for my laptop — Conflicting advice about unlocking it.

Just to clarify, when you rang support, who did you ring, and what did you say?

Jokiin is right, not every consultant will know every process back to front, but they should be able to find out an answer. I'm glad I know I can get the 3G dongles unlocked.

B. 

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Tron
Level 9: Captain

to get phone to take other sims you need a different providers sim

and run a full restore in itunes to your phone it should tell your its unlocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only. I also participate in my own time.

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more