IFIXco_au
Level 2: Rookie

Patchy, unusable 4GX Central NSW Small Business cannot operate

Answered

Hi Crowd Support, our system is intermittent since August when there seemed to be an upgrade for the Cell.

This is our Communications tower !  

Our VoIP ceased as the CGNAT does not allow UDP in from our VSP so we have had to switch it to SkyMuster (which is a little latent BUT ALWAYS works compared to our Telstra service).

We had Band 3 (1.8GHz) for years, until the cell (@37KM) re-pointed the array down and off our elevated location; Hence, signal evaporated and we had to redesign our network.

2. So, after another $2,000 we have dual BlackHawk yagis in an array at 25M (83') on our communications tower with LL400 feeds. A strong signal which never fades from a near cell (@ 16KM) which has a microwave backhaul, unfortunately. Our router is a Teltonika RUT-950 and we have others but the result is the same.

Since August the service has been patchy, times out, ping to Telstra DNS can be 1,400MS at times.

We operate two business's from our offices and have done so for decades, but this Telstra service is in need of fixing and the new CGNAT (client side IP sharing) is the only variable which arrived in August and it has not been any good since.

"chemicals and greed are killin' the land" Greendale 2004/ the "mighty Neil Young" (as remarked by Stephen Fry).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
IFIXco_au
Accepted Solution

Re: Patchy, unusable 4GX Central NSW Small Business cannot operate

Hi all, well NO after more outlay, the 'modem' (Teltonika RUT-950) was NOT faulty; Because we bought a Comset CM510Q-W and the outcome was identical.

Occasional periods of stable network, email and web pages, then nothing with high packet loss.

So, I wrote to Cell Tower support.

After some (mutually) very polite and helpful exchanges, NOC advised Cell Tower Support, (then us) that the site had a registered fault, scheduled for maintenance/ resolution, within the next two weeks.

This week, we are having good throughput, so, it could have been resolved. 🙂

If so, thank you Telstra, Cell Tower Support/ NOC.

One tip, the apex guys at Comset Australia told me was; "use the modem in 'bridge' mode" and after an initial hiccough with the "watchdog timer feature" (which I discovered, logically, should not be enabled) all is well and the WAN IP is DHCP at our load balancing router (Cisco RV-340). 🙂

"chemicals and greed are killin' the land" Greendale 2004/ the "mighty Neil Young" (as remarked by Stephen Fry).

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
IFIXco_au

Ok, a development,

1. we now know that the pattern of behaviour since early August is from/

2. The modem failed today and resetting it did not resolve the intermittent connection, so an old replacement (TP-Link MR600) is doing a good job until our Comset CM510Q-W arrives.

3. VSP now connects inbound calls via 4GX for the first time in eight weeks. 🙂

IFIXco_au
Accepted Solution

Hi all, well NO after more outlay, the 'modem' (Teltonika RUT-950) was NOT faulty; Because we bought a Comset CM510Q-W and the outcome was identical.

Occasional periods of stable network, email and web pages, then nothing with high packet loss.

So, I wrote to Cell Tower support.

After some (mutually) very polite and helpful exchanges, NOC advised Cell Tower Support, (then us) that the site had a registered fault, scheduled for maintenance/ resolution, within the next two weeks.

This week, we are having good throughput, so, it could have been resolved. 🙂

If so, thank you Telstra, Cell Tower Support/ NOC.

One tip, the apex guys at Comset Australia told me was; "use the modem in 'bridge' mode" and after an initial hiccough with the "watchdog timer feature" (which I discovered, logically, should not be enabled) all is well and the WAN IP is DHCP at our load balancing router (Cisco RV-340). 🙂

View solution in original post

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Good news.

Out of interest, you said that you wrote to Cell Tower support.

Which means & address did you use?.

IFIXco_au

Thank you and the contact email is on this page where I notice a comment by your self ! 🙂

Dowser

Thank you. I asked in case you had used a different means.

Regards

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more