resdevgroup
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra 3G DNS cache slow to update

Hello, over the weekend I have updated couple DNS A records for our domain (not hosted with Telstra). Since then, no host on that specific domain (eg. www.domain.com.au, mail.domain.com.au) can be found. On any other servcie, ADSL, Optus, Vodafone, etc) it's fine, just not Telstra 3G using a mobile phone or iPad. It just says host cannot be found. Something with the Telstra 3G DNS cache hasn't been updated. All other websites are fine from the mobile phone, just not the one I have updated. Our host has confirmed that all DNS records for our domain have been updated and there is no fault.

I have tried to ring Telstra and been on the phone for over an hour but nobody seems to know what I'm talking about.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
webtechplus
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra 3G DNS cache slow to update

Its common with Telstra DNS to get a 30minute to 1 hour cache, the longest i have experenced was 3 hours...

This was for the update of a domain name for a client.

On you land line network this can be from 3 hours to 24 hours depending on the domain.

The other major factor is what is the refresh rate of the domain set to if its set to only be updated every 24 hours they will be waiting a while.

I neither despise nor fear...
Have a great day
resdevgroup

Thanks Webchatplus, but it's been more than 24 hours even with my TTL set to a few hours. I'm going to wait another day or so before I look into this any further.

jefsims
Level 4: Private Eye

I have found with Telstra, the root DNS server in Sydney tends to only update its SN every 24 hours.

You can if you have access to a linux box do a "DiG" to see what is going on.

Here is a tool I've used: http://www.whatsmydns.net/

Talking to Telstra support is pretty pointless. They don't know what DNS half the time, especially 3G support. You might be better off ringing the number for Telstra hosting or something similar.

resdevgroup

Thanks, I'm going to give it another 24 hours and will follow up. I have already spent over an hour on the phone being transferred to about 5 different depts, never again.

Although when I use my phone as a hotspot, I still can't access my domain but I can when I manually enter the Telstra 3G DNS server (139.130.4.4), it's fine, also from QLD it's ok, just not Perth. As usual with WA, wait awhile!

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hiya,

Send me a private message with the domain name and IP address. I will raise this with the operations team.

The advice that you have been given above is also good, the services can take a few hours to a full day to update for all services, however it usually doesn't take that long.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
resdevgroup

Thanks Dan, never used this site before, how do I send a private message?
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You can do that here

For future reference there is a 'send this user a private message' link on a users profile on the righthand side, it can be a bit hard to see at first.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

Manage your business services on your mobile with the My Telstra app.

Find out more