oldie78
Level 1: Cadet

caller said from telstra 0427547258

said my internet compromised and I would be frozen out for 30 days unless I do certain things on my computer he said no charge and he would show me how, I refused and told him I would contact telstra direct

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
qlderpat

Re: caller said from telstra 0427547258

Not even 20 minutes ago I received a similar call but was female and mobile number was 0402121745, told me a similar story but I was polite but hostile as she tried to tell me my internet was being accessed by at least 5 other people, uhm, not possible as my internet connection is mobile broadband and I live in the middle of acreage, hmm, maybe some of the cattle have phones that when they are close enough can hook in. She ended up hanging up because I kept asking her questions.  Trouble is when I tried ringing Telstra on 132200 the call either immediately drops out or tells me they are experiencing technical difficulties, the same happened when I tried to submit a complaint form,  Buck up Telstra, throw us in the deep end of the pool and leave us flailing, not happy!

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's a scam. There is nothing you need to do about it, has been going on for years.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
oldie78

thanks I did get in touch with telstra they said it was a scam and they do not contact except to remind  if account overdue. 

MisterQ
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I get several of these every week. More often than not, it starts with "This is Nicole from the NBN - we are going to switch off your internet, press one to talk to ...." The next bit says it's Telstra and that they can see "hacking" coming from my internet connection - it's all BS - they are just trying to break into your home computer - well, actually to get you to give them remote access, so that they can install malware and then charge you to get rid of it. They aren't Telstra or NBN, they are a bunch of Indian Scammers. I used to just hang up on them but nowadays, I like to mess with them. If it's a girl on the phone, I will ask her if she is pretty and what is she wearing - that usually gets an immediate hangup.  Or you can ask them, if they can see traffic from your internet, and have called you, then they must know the details of your account - ask them to read out your Telstra account number.  They can't and will hang up.  Another favourite I play is acting as if I have been waiting for their call, complain about how long it takes them to deal with a complaint, and demand to speak to a supervisor. Another response is to pretend to be deaf - "Can you repeat that" - can you speak up - etc. Or connect through to a person, and then start talking in a made up gobbledegook language. If you are real keen learn some swear words in Hindi.

The other scam are offshore investments - usually run (or claiming to) our of Hong Kong - immediate answer to them is "what is your AFSL (Australia Financial Services License) number - they won't know because they don't have one - just hangup, or I point out that it's a $25,000 fine for selling securities without an AFSL - can I have your number and address so that I can check with the Australia finance regulatory authority... 

But, all of that said, what annoys me, is that there are actually relatively simple and effective ways of blocking these people out of The Australian Telephone Networks. (I did software support for Telephone Exchange Systems several years back - I understand how this works - the telcos are just too lazy to implement the things that would stop these scammers in their tracks. 

Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit