Poms
Level 1: Cadet

Neighbour digs up my telstra cable

Hi  i live on a acreage and recently my neighbor dug up OVER 20 Metres of my telstra underground cable that crossed his property, he says he thought it was old cable even though the telstra pit on the road verge is within 3 metres of where he commenced digging up the cable, does he have any rights to dig up the cable just because it traverses his property? He seems to think it just shouldnt be their and threrfore it is his right to remove it, doing my head in!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Neighbour digs up my telstra cable

Hi Poms,

Your neighbour will soon find out that they can't dig up Telstra's cable just because "it's on their property".

I can imagine the bill they'll be receiving after a crew has been out to replace what's been dug upSmiley Surprised

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Neighbour digs up my telstra cable

No, he doesn't have the right to dig it up. He will probably find that there is an easement on his property that covers it (if not, then Telstra will be liable for the costs) and he will be sent the bill for the rectification costs.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit