Level 1: Cadet

Scam call from telsta???

I received a call from an unlisted or silent number this morning, 2/9/2020. It was a recorded female voice that said, my internet security had been compromised and because of that, my internet data had to be suspended...I was then told, “press 1 to speak to an executive.”

I immediately hung up the phone and tried to call the usual Telstra number, 132200...which simply asked the usual questions and then directed me to the Telstra website.

i have not found any way to clarify if this was a legitimate call from Telstra or a hoax/scam.

I was instantly suspect of the call when it suggested I press one to speak with an ‘executive’, I’ve never heard anyone offer me to speak with an executive.

i am concerned about my security, given I have done more transactions via the internet, than I ever have, during the COVID lockdown situation.

i hate it...and wish I could just go and purchase what I need from a shop...like I always have and like to do...supporting our local businesses.

anyway... can anyone tell me if this is a scam call...or...is my internet connection going to be suspended, or is it compromised...?

i am using my Telstra mobile service to access the internet.

thank you kindly...for any help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Scam call from telsta???

It's a common scam call and has nothing to do with Telstra and your service will be fine.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you.

i thought as much...as soon as they said ‘executive’, which I have never heard before.

i do appreciate your time in replying to my question.

kind regard.

Level 5: Eagle Eye

I fully understand your concerns. I had a similar experience this week being advised my NBN security has been compromised.  I managed to speak to Telstra and confirmed this was a scam. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit