Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
JJHENDO4
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra app

@Jupiter& @cf4 - @@@

I am unable to respond where you have been helping me. Probably my lack of understanding how CrowdSupport works! 

I just wanted to say that I went to purchase the Gen 2 smart modem but I realised it was for NBN connections. I can't get NBN. I'm stuck with mobile broadband only. So I'm back to a router between my mobile broadband device & my Tenda nova I guess Smiley Sad I'm hopeless with this, if you can send me a link to the router you suggest, that would be great! 

J*Hendo
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

If you replace the SIM in the Gen 2 Smart Modem with a mobile broadband SIM (like the one in your USB dongle, but possibly a different size), then it will work on the 4G (LTE) network. If it isn't plugged in to an NBN connection (either via the WAN or DSL ports), then the mobile broadband connection in the modem kicks in.

Watch the video that @cf4 posted the link for in the original post and it will show you how it works.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JHendo
Level 2: Rookie

Oh ok, I was just advised by Telstra it would only work with NBN connection so I didn't purchase. Now I know different, so thank you. I did watch the video, seems the main difference between Gen 1 & Gen 2 is the SIM size - Gen 1 being micro SIM & Gen 2 being full sized. I'm still waiting for my SIM to arrive. Do you have any idea if it will be a micro or a full sized as this will determine which generation I purchase.

Is there any issue swapping between the smart modem & the mobile broadband device? Say we're going on holidays, is it OK to pull the SIM out of the smart modem & into the mobile broadband device? Just swap & change as I need? 

cf4

SIM can be swapped between devices without causing any problems.

The SIM will be a mult sizei SIM. It is constructed of different sections that ca be removed to change the size. Even if SIM is off the wrong size it can be changed at a Telstra store or a replacement SIM can be ordered online.

JHendo

Thank you. Is there any benefit going Gen 2 over Gen 1 with the smart modem given you say SIM size isn't an issue? 

cf4

The Gen 1 modems are cheaper. The Gen 2 is a later modem and is therefore more likely to get firmware up support by from Telstra over a longer period. The Gen 2 also has a better LTE modem which should result in a faster speed. The speed test in the video showed a faster download speed for the Gen 2 modem.

JHendo

Hi @cf4 & @Jupiter I have purchased the telstra smart modem gen 2. I have followed the video but I am getting no internet from the device. Is there further help or troubleshooting from elsewhere?? 

cf4

Has the SIM been activated?

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

What indicator lights are on the front/back of the modem?

Check the SIM is installed the right way round. The angled corner shoul go into the slot, with the gold contacts facing towards the red WAN socket..  I have seen them installed incorrectly.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit