Fraggle11
Level 2: Rookie

Unauthorised access

I received a email today saying my ex has filled in online registration to access my account. He has no authority. I have not spoken to him in over 2 years I have moved 3 times changed passwords 3 times and changed my name. How is this possible. Only thing he would know us my e-mail. I've checked my account to ensure he has no access but I got email saying he does. How does this work

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Unauthorised access

That doesn't seem right if he is not authorised on your account. Does he know any passwords you might have used previously? or any other personal details he could have used to authorise the change? Does he know your Telstra ID and password?

You should try to log into your account as soon as possible and change the password to something very different and harder - inconvenient for you but safest. You'll need to update anything where that Telstra password is used - Bigpond/Telstra email, account access etc.

I am not sure the best and quickest way to have this looked at - the My Telstra app, Get Help, Chat Window, might not be the quickest way but you could try..  type 'Speak to a consultant' to get into a quue for someone to contact you back via the messages.

You could also try LiveChat at:  https://www.telstra.com.au/chatnow/landing?pageId=https%3a%2f%2flivechat.telstra.com%2fsocial%3acons...

Some people have been getting through on 132200 as well but that might be a bit slow as well..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Fraggle11

Thanks yeah have done all that but still can't get thru to Telstra by app or phone. Will try again. I have changed passwords address 3 times in last 2 years and now my name. He doesn't know where I live so wouldn't have address. Will keep trying today

SteveW_52

OK, so if they have been given access to your account, you need to change the password again, as soon as possible..

Keep trying with the app, never heard of anyone not getting through that way..

In your situation I would also be talking to the police, it doesn't matter what the previous relationship was, the current behaviour  is not acceptable and could be considered a threat.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

Oh, and where did the email come from, that advised you of what happened - was the name mentioned specifically? Did the email address you by name as well?

Stevo 52
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi @Fraggle11  - you may have received this email from Telstra so that you, as the only legal entity and account holder can revalidate continuation of a previous authorisation level that must have been set in the past - it only lasts for two years and requires the account holder to revalidate the original authorisation. I get the impression that the person who has been granted previous registered authority by the account holder can not extend their own revalidation as the email goes to the account holder. The Telstra FAQ states that the authority will lapse unless it is revalidated.

To make sure, if convenient, suggest you visit a Telstra Shop and re-confirm current status of your account.  @SteveW_52  has some very good advice to follow for password security and safety if of concern. 

Telstra FAQ

Can I give someone permission to access my account? (telstra.com.au)

Old 2011 forum post

Can I add my wifes name to my telstra account?? - Telstra CrowdSupport - 4526

SteveW_52

@Mkrtich  wasn't aware that Telstra did that, I have authorised access set on my accounts and never seen anything like that in 17 years..  ??

Stevo 52
Mkrtich

Yes - In the past, I was authorised as a representative for my father's and uncle's Telstra accounts when they were alive and my father did not receive a revalidation request email. To arrange authority, I called Telstra whilst I was in the same room as my father and the agent had to speak to my father to get his verbal agreement for the authority. I can't remember, but I may have lodged an Enduring Power of Attorney form with Telstra or had it sighted at the Telstra Shop - possibly in the time when Telstra used 10 digit account numbers rather than current 13 digit account number systems.

Sometimes what is written on Telstra web sites isn't always current or followed, but hopefully it gives some information that can assist people in their follow up dealings with Telstra. 

Fraggle11

Yes was emailed to me from Telstra and had ex name saying he has completed online to access the account

SteveW_52

But, sorry to keep asking questions, it is a bit confusing (and if true, then a very serious breach by Telstra in my opinion) as to how it has happened and I'd like to understand it better. I was stalked by an ex once, using account access and other means and it was not a pleasant situation at all - but it did get resolved in my favour, once Police were involved and facts proven but it took some time and effort.

As @Mkrtich  mentioned, it could be a revalidation of an old, previous authorisation - is validation or revalidation mentioned in the email? Did the email address you by your name (which Telstra will always do)?

There has been another issue raised here very recently where a similar thing happened to a persons account, including changing of personal details that a customer can't get to - not sure how that has happened either. Two similar things happening in a short period of time makes me wonder..

Stevo 52
Fraggle11

At far as I'm aware he never had access and according to the online chat he is not on there.

The account we were both linked to orginal was closed 2years ago but was linked to my email. My phone is now on a completely different account I have changed all passwords and address 3 times since. So I am bewildered as to why he would  fill out a online registration to access the account 

Mkrtich

Hi - in the FAQ link 'Full Authority Contact' classification, it appears that someone who has been previously granted this level status can  "Add and remove other authorised contacts (not third party)" , however, according to the link below it , "Why do I have to revalidate my authorised account contact every 24 months?" you, as the account owner can remove an authorised person or change the status level via your My Telstra App.- there is a video clip showing you how to do that - have you tried that and did it work? 

There is also a 'contact us' link in the body of the page which connects you to "Manage my account" page but no category for authorising persons. If above fails, a visit to a Telstra Shop should clarify the current situation. Hope it gets resolved.

Fraggle11

Yes done all that just trying to find out how he could get info on new account he never had link to or is it the old account that is closed. 

Mkrtich

Yes, maybe a glitch associated with your previous account - did you keep the old email address which may have been registered under the prime account holder or cancel that as well? We have three email addresses registered under my account - two under my name and the other for my wife.

I just tried the My Telstra App and discovered it can only edit a pre-existing registered Authority and not set up a new one which is a good security mechanism. You have to call 132200 or visit a Telstra Store to set one up. I also could find no way of setting one up on line Telstra 24/7 Account process but I am not fully conversant with Telstra web pages.   

Fraggle11

I have only ever had the one email and the original internet was set up under that but that account has been cancelled. I still have my same email though for everything. I have changed passwords just in case

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Telstra do have a Security Department who should be able to advise you.       They also have an Unwelcome Calls Department, both contactable through 132200, which I understand is in minimal operation.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit