PBF1
Level 1: Cadet

Verifying Telsta phone numbers

Telstra have called a friend and asked for a call back on a particular number.  How can I verify that this number is in fact a genuine Telstra number?  The caller claimed to be a Telstra employee and asked my friend to switch on her computer and he would tell her what settings to change on her email program to resolve an issue she is currently having.  It is possible that this is genuine but a previous call, apparently from Telstra, saw her give control of her computer to the caller and left two programs for giving remote control of her computer installed on her machine.  Hence the desire to ensure that this latest call is from a real Telstra number.  The number is 1800 834 273.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Verifying Telsta phone numbers

Hi PBF1,

I Googled the phone number and it looks like it's a Telstra NBN number. 

The below 2 links are where I saw the number.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/phone-line/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-my-ho...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/moving-connection-help/why-can-t-i-call-1800-834-273/td-p/589...

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Rohan123
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Re: Verifying Telsta phone numbers

Hi @PBF1 

I can confirm from my own Telstra notes, that is a Telstra NBN billing number.

However I have never heard of Telstra gaining control of anyone's  computer before ever.

I am quite sure they are not allowed to, or have the capabilities to do so in any Telstra department.

Maybe call the number and ask if they called you.

Rohan

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit