For small businesses operating in the digital world, DOT (Digital Office Technology)™ can help you run your business in a more efficient, simpler way. DOT gives you access to a wide range of applications and software, helping to make things easier and allowing you to compete bigger businesses. So what exactly is DOT and how does it work? Our handy guide breaks it down for you.
What is DOT ?
DOT is an all-in-one communications solution for small business. It bundles:
- a fixed broadband service;
- a digital voice service;
- voice and broadband back-up service; and
- at an extra cost, the option to add additional phone lines for alarms, EFTPOS and digital voice,
all on one bill.
What is Digital Voice?
Digital Voice or Voice over Internet Protocol is a service that carries voice over broadband as data, meaning you don’t have to use an old analogue phone line. Telstra’s High Definition IP voice line service comes with Quality of Service calling enhancement feature, which improve the reliability and consistency of voice calls made using your DOT Core Plan.
What are the benefits of DOT?
With the Simultaneous Ring feature, you can advertise one number to customers, and have it ring on your main and secondary lines, including mobiles, all at the same time, so even when you’re out of the office or on your way to a client meeting you won’t miss a call. Along with free on-account calls between eligible devices in Australia, it’s the perfect solution for when you have employees who work in and out of the office.
DOT provides Voice and Broadband Back-up, with a Telstra Mobile SIM and a mobile broadband device with 5GB of data per month in case of an outage or when you have any other issues with your fixed broadband service. Another optional extra, DOT’s Virtual Receptionist, assists you in projecting a “big business” image by managing your calls between different areas of the business. For an additional monthly fee, customers inbound calling your business who are placed on hold will hear a professional advertising voice-over service with background music with Ad on Hold.
With DOT User plans , (in addition to the Core plan) you can choose from a range of in-market mobile plans, and have up to 9 additional services, like Fax and EFTPOS connected.
What do I get with my DOT service?
- One fixed broadband service
- One High Definition IP voice line phone service
- One Voice & Broadband Backup service
- A $15/per month (for 24 months) Telstra Apps Marketplace credit for use on a single business App subscription, such as Microsoft® Office 365 Business
- International Call Inclusions to selected countries (Core L and XL plans only)
- Free on-account calls between fixed and mobile phones in Australia on the same DOT account
- Share on the same DOT account within Australia:
- Fixed data allowances between your DOT Core Plans
- Mobile data allowances across all eligible mobile and mobile broadband plans
- Eligible Office Plan and Mobile call allowances
- Great calling features including Simultaneous Ring and Sequential Ring
- Voice2Email: listen, forward or save voicemails from your desktop
- A hosted new Domain name with free registration for up to 24 months (dependant on the type of domain name chosen)
- Remote working software
- One hour over the phone mentoring session
- Peace of Mind Commitment – no excess data charges for the first two bills for new customers
- Static IP Address (IPv4 on ADSL, or dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 on the nbn™ network)
- 24/7 online and over the phone support from our technical experts
- Unlimited standard local calls
- An included fixed data allowance
- Some included calls (depending on which DOT Core Plan you choose)
- Free MessageBank® diversion and retrieval in Australia
- Access to CommPilot, an online call management tool
- Access to CallConductor™, an account and user management tool
For new customers, DOT (Digital Office Technology)™ is only available on the nbn network. Existing customers who currently have DOT on ADSL2+ can transfer to DOT on the nbn network when it is available at your premises.
Who is it for?
It suits small businesses that need more than one phone line, or who have multiple sites or employees who work both in and out of the office.
For example, you could be an architecture firm that has 4 office phone lines, plus a fax. You regularly transfer large files over your fixed broadband, and are regularly out of the office, on-site with clients. You have an alarm to protect your high value office equipment.
Or you could have a small comic book store. You are constantly receiving online orders and queries. You use EFTPOS in the storefront for payments, a fax to place stock orders and a monitored alarm to protect your stock.
You need to have an ABN, ACN or ARBN to be eligible for a DOT service and a Service Qualification check must be performed to check the eligibility of every customer before being sold a DOT product.
How much does it cost?
Check out more about our Small Business Internet Bundles here. You can also add additional in-market mobile plans and devices to your DOT Core Plan at an extra cost.
What equipment will I need?
Your new DOT Core Plan on the nbn network will include a Business Gateway, which we will need to be professionally installed for an additional fee. You can bring your own nbn network compatible IP handset to use with your DOT Core Plan, or buy the latest one from us.
Existing ADSL2+ customers also receive a Business Gateway, and need to purchase an IP handset from us and have us professionally install it for them for a fee.
How do I sign up for DOT (Digital Office Technology)™?
You can do it online by visiting our small business bundles page, checking the nbn™ availability at your premises, selecting a business bundle plan that suits you, customising your bundle and checking it out.
Alternatively, you can speak to us via Telstra 24x7 Chat, or call us on 13 2000 and say ‘Digital Office Technology’.
Things You Need To Know:
Telstra services on the nbn network are not available to all areas or customers. In areas serviced by the nbn network, Telstra may be required to connect services onto the nbn network. Once you are connected to nbn fibre, you won’t able to move to our copper network. DOT (Digital Office Technology): Service not available to all areas, premises or customers. In areas serviced by nbn™ co, Telstra may be required to connect services onto the nbn network. Once you are connected to nbn fibre, you won’t be able to move to our copper network. All your DOT components must be within Australia to receive free on-account calls and shared data and call allowances. You cannot share unlimited allowances or allowances between fixed and mobile services. Included allowances exclude some usage such as calls to premium numbers (e.g. 19xx and 13xx numbers). Unused allowances expire monthly. If you cancel early, you must repay equipment costs in addition to any early termination charge. DOT on nbn New Development Charge: If you're in a new development and not already connected to the nbn network, nbn co may charge $300 to connect your premises to the nbn network. If applicable, we will bill that charge to you. nbn™, nbn co and other nbn™ logos and brands are trade marks of nbn co limited and used under licence. ™ are trade marks and ® are registered trade marks of Telstra Corporation Limited, ABN 33 051 775 556
Was this helpful?
- Yes it was, thank you
- No, I still need help