Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Abnormally high mobile data usage

Hi,

I am an iPhone 7 user, and have been using iPhones for years and have been very good about managing my data usage. I received a text saying I was 85% through my GB allowance, and one hour later I got a text saying I was at 100%, even though I was at home and connected to WiFi. Looking at my data usage for this period, it's been abnormally high this week, especially one day that showed me using 8GB. I was at work most of that day (where I connect to work wifi) and then at home when again it showed me connected to WiFi (when I did use it to stream video). Is it possible that even though it shows me connected to WiFi it's using mobile data instead? Is there any other reason I could have used so much data so quickly, even though I am connected to WiFi almost all day?

I have since restricted the mobile data usage to force the use of WiFi, but I still have 20 days left in this cycle and am looking to understand what could have happened, or if there could be an error on Telstra's end?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Abnormally high mobile data usage

Do you have Wifi Assist enabled?
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/iOS/iOS-9-amp-Wi-Fi-Assist/td-p/508658

When you look at your mobile usage by application do you see one which has unusually high usage?

It's under Settings -> Mobile
Scroll down and look at the usage figures under various apps.

You can also disable mobile data on a per app basis, and reset the counter, to better manage mobile data usage.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more