Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Apple Music not data free

Why am I being charged Data for streaming from my Apple Music account and why have I wasted 2 hours talking to three seperate Telstra consultants who could not understand such a simple question!?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Apple Music not data free

Where are you seeing that the data is Being metered? 

if you can start with what you are seeing and where it would be great as this may help isolate an issue to be able to be replicated and resolved if if is a wider issue. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Re: Apple Music not data free

In the Telstra 24x7 App and on my account on the Telstra website. I spend an hour or two streaming music and my data used shoots up by 300 - 400mb despite me not using my phone for any other use.

Highlighted

Apple Music not Data Free - 5th attempt at getting an answer

After wasting 2 hours trying to speak to Telstra consultants and having my question on the Crowd Support be automatically ticked off as having been answered - despite the opposite being the case, I am going to give this one more try before jacking it all in and signing up with Optus.

Telstra advertise that streaming from Apple Music does not count against my data limit. 
This is not the case. I have been monitoring my usage using the 24x7 app AND the Telstra website and I am losing 100's of MBs from my allowance when I stream from Apple Music.

I am not downloading albums. I am not viewing video files. I am not surfing the net. I am only streaming music. 

The consultants at Telstra support have not been any help and instead keep transferring me to other departments. One even claimed that Telstra don't have any deals with Apple!

I'm really getting sick of being ripped off here but thankfully I am not held under contract so if I do not get any proper assistance in the next 24 hours I will cancel my plan and take all my business elsewhere! 

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Apple Music not Data Free - 5th attempt at getting an answer

Is the APN on your mobile set to Telstra.wap? If not, then the data usage won't register correctly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

That's the first helpful response I've had. Thank you! 
Unfortunately it appears that my APN is already set at telstra.wap so we can rule that out. 

however whilst I was in the Mobile Settings, I reset the statistics so hopefully I can get a clearer picture of how much data is being used by Apple Music as opposed to background use from other apps.

Thanks again

Highlighted

Are you using any sort of VPN services on the mobile? As that can also cause it to not record correctly at times as well. Just another one worth checking. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

I have a VPN configuration saved but it is not connected and hasn't been for some time. 
I'll delete the app and configuration and see if that helps, thank you. 

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more