Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Data donation

Hi I’m just at the movies and saw an Optus ad for donating data to kids in need. Is this an option for Telstra customers at all?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Data donation

No.  Telstra doesn't have that. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Telstra - Given that this question was raised in February and the world has changed significantly in this time is this something that is on the table?

I work in the Education sector and as students are increasingly going to need to go online to complete school and other qualifications the ability to access data is paramount. As unemployment continues to increase one of the first things people will look to cut would be data plans and this places the education of our country at risk.

Surely there must be a way for something like this to be set up?

We have around 140G of data on our combined mobile plans that won't new used now everyone is at home as we all access our home WiFi.

@Robstar306 wrote:

Hi I’m just at the movies and saw an Optus ad for donating data to kids in need. Is this an option for Telstra customers at all?

Highlighted

Telstra haven't announced anything like that at the moment.

However, all home broadband plans now have unlimited data.

If you have a Post Paid Mobile, you can get an extra 25GB of data by registering at

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/COVID-19

by the 19th April 2020.

Keep an eye out at Telstra Exchange for any further announcements.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

i would still prefer to donate my extra data allowances. 25GB per month i believe that's still not enough for kids at rural area or kids in need to access online videos/learning materials for a whole month worth. 

hope Telstra could have this done/launched soon. 

Highlighted

I too would like to see Telstra launch this as I and many others I have spoken too have lots of data they don’t use by the end of their month and would love to donate too. 

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Paulm1866,

Thanks for your feedback, it is great to see so many good ideas.

The below is a section of an article posted on Telstra Exchange, outlining what Telstra are doing to assist

our students connect with teachers. You can find the full article here

We’re proud to be doing our part in helping to bridge the gap by providing 20,000 students and teachers across the country with internet access to educational content to support their online learning through the Department of Education and Catholic Education.

The Department of Education and Training in Victoria is one of the first to take up Telstra’s offer and will be ready to go at the start of Term 2.

Just as technology is enabling businesses to keep running during this period, it also has the potential to empower our kids to continue learning, even if they’re not even physically in a classroom.

We’ve been working with national, state and territory education leaders to roll out equipment, connectivity and digital platforms, such as Cisco WebEx or Microsoft Teams, to enable virtual classrooms. Combined, they can allow students to access their teachers’ online learning resources, from worksheets to webinars from home.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I'm also keen to look at donating data to those that need it. @telstra jump on board

Highlighted

I heard htat you can do this through the Smith Family

Highlighted

You can't donate data, but you can make a financial donation to the Smith Family and they provide Internet access and equipment through one of their programs.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more