Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Data usage discrepancy

Hi,

I recently changed mobile providers from Vodafone to Telstra Prepaid and I noticed that I was churning through a lot more data than I was on Vodafone eventhough I was using the mobile in the same manner. I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 6 and I decided to reset the mobile data usage meter, take a screenshot of my usage using the Telstra 24x7 app and let it run over a few days to see what happened...

This is the screenshot prior to resetting the mobile data usage:

photo 1.png

This is the screenshot of the iPhone mobile data usage after a few days:

photo 2.png

And this is the screenshot of the Telstra 24x7 usage after a few days which should roughly marry up with the data usage from the iPhone mobile usage screenshot (or so I thought)

photo 3.png

As you can see, the iphone is showing combined upload and downloads of ~13MB. The Telstra 24x7 usage meter is showing ~50MB of usage...

Errr.... can someone explain this incredible four fold discrepancy?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Data usage discrepancy

can you see that * in the bottom of the picture and the accompanying text?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

I don't know if that comment is supposed to be sarcastic or not, however; yes, I have seen the disclaimer and if that's the case, then it is likely that even more data would be consumed than what the 24x7 app is indicating vs what the iphone is indicating so it makes the discrepancy even worse than initially expected.

Does anyone else have an idea? This is a discrepancy four fold in the favour of Telstra and I'm trying to understand why...
Highlighted

not meant to be sarcastic at all, the data usage can take a few days to show up against your account, what you're seeing would have been data used prior to resetting the iPhone usage that has been updated later, it's not worded the best but WAP refers to data usage, up to 48 hours worth can show up, let me know if you don't follow what I mean by that
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

OK, I understand what you're saying. What I'll do next time is reset my mobile data usage prior to recharging. I still think there is something wrong with this discrepancy. I'm not using WAP either, I'm using an internet service and I've noticed chunks come off the 24x7 app immediately after heavy usage which is why I'm questioning this logic. My data usage on Telstra is much higher than it was with Vodafone with the same (probably less) usage which is why I'm concerned. Even if there was a delay, it doesn't account for the massive discrepancy and I've been on wifi all week (no mobile data usage) so I don't think my concerns have been answered.
Highlighted

any references to WAP is your 3G internet (not sure if you were clear on that so just mentioning it again) you're probably aware that iPhone's can do background stuff over 3G and it seems since iOS6 there's a bit more of this going on, I haven't seen it documented anywhere but I believe the WiFi goes to sleep even when plugged into power whereas it used to stay active constantly, this would cause some stuff to continue to happen over 3G even when you would normally expect it to be using WiFi, like when plugged in overnight

if you're convinced that you're using WiFi only then go into the settings menu and turn data off, don't believe you'll see any data being recorded against your account once you do this (after the 48 hour period has expired at least and any prior sessions are updated)

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more