CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Data usage on Bigpond showing much higher numbers than what the modem has recorded

Hi there,

Over the last 4 days,my Telstra account shows that I have used approx 12gb of data. However if I go into my Bigpond modem settings and look under the BROADBAND section, it shows the following:

DSL Uptime
4days 12hours 59min 27sec
DSL Type
ADSL_2plus
DSL Mode
Interleaved
Maximum Line rate
1.09 Mbps 19.26 Mbps
Line Rate
1.08 Mbps 17.94 Mbps
Data Transferred
1384.86 MBytes 2837.73 MBytes

I make the total to be approx 4.2GB (Data transferred both upload and download). How is it that my modem shows 4.2gb for 4 days, but my Telstra account says 12GB. Can my modem not be picking up all data being transferred, even though i can see all the devices I would expect to be connected on the devices list. I have changed the password recently so I cant imagine its being hacked into, but I might be wrong.

Any information/assistance would be appreciated. 

Nick

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Data usage on Bigpond showing much higher numbers than what the modem has recorded

Keep in mind that the Telstra usage meter is often 24-48 hours behind. This means that often there will be data that is allocated later than used.

So for example if you used data in the couple of days prior to resetting your modem, it may not 'land' on your account immediately.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Data usage on Bigpond showing much higher numbers than what the modem has recorded

Thank Kalak,

That may well be the case. I guess I need to not have any devices connected for a couple of days, to let the usage metering 'catch up', then see if the reset modem numbers add up. 

Thanks for the response.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Yeah, you'd have to wait without usage until you got a zero or near zero day showing on the meter, reset the modem stats, and then go from there.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more