Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Data usage warning includes metered and unmetered usage

I am getting usage warnings that use a total that includes both metered and unmetered data usage. Why doesn't this warning system use the correct figure? This seems like a basic function that should be right. Does my connection get slowed based on the metered usage figure? I have previously been trapped into buying a data pack when I thought I was going over my limit.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Data usage warning includes metered and unmetered usage

Hi GrahamM, 

The usage notifications should only be for your data allowance. 

If it's a Bigpond mobile broadband service, you would be slowed down when you've used your allowance.

If it's a Telstra mobile broadband service, you would be charged excess usage costs if you went over 

If it's a mobile service with an included data allowance or added pack, you would be charged excess usage costs if you went over 

Unmetred websites do not use your allowance & I'd find it quite odd if it was

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

This is not mobile. It is BigPond NBN that I am getting the usage warnings for.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused, you cannot get data packs on NBN. NBN is home broadband like cable and ADSL, you get your chosen plan allowance per monthand when you go over your speed is slowed. There is no option to add data packs on home broadband they are for mobile phones or Telstra moble broadband/data plans.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Why is it that the main question that I ask is ignored and the minor thing is picked on. Forget my comment about data packs and please people focus on my main problem - that's all I ask with respect.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi GrahamM,

The data pack comment you mentioned has confused it here I think. If you have NBN fixed internet, then you would simply be slowed if you hit the plan usage allowance in your billing cycle (eg 50GB). In that case, it would not be until this time, that you would need to consider changing your plan, if you feel that you could not continue using slow speeds. Fixed internet plans can be changed up and down as often as once per bill cycle. 

As far as usage % it should show for metered, not unmetered. If any concern, tech support team here (24hrs): http://tel.st/gq6m can check for you.

- Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more