Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Data usage

Why is my data being chewed up by Telstra system so rapidly.  What I used to get for 5 GB is now costing me in the vicinity of 12GB. What's this about, been going on for a while now. ANSWER THIS QUESTION 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Data usage

Hi Kiwi59,

Welcome to Crowd Support

From automatic software updates, background app refreshes, browsing the web, social networking and to streaming music and videos, keeping track of your data usage can be tricky.

You can find our more about ways to monitor and manage your data usage at: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/my-account/manage-your-usage/manage-your-data

There's also a video we created on how to manage your data usage at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEqbGqH-P1k

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

After complaining in here about data gouging by Telstra I got nothing useful back. I have since taken my Samsung 5s back to Telstra via an appointment with a tech. Explained what's happening ie. extreme data usage knowing I'm not using anywhere near as much data as the system says. Telstra tech support at Ocean Keys says I have a virus in my phone, best solution buy a new phone. He sorts a new Samsung 7 up and makes a new contract for me. The data usage reduced significantly but after the first month starts going back up. After having this new phone for 3 months now my data is back to what it was and worse. A lot worse. I watch very little video content, stuff all. Yesterday Sunday 4 th June at 6.03am my account got an extra data pack of 1gb costing $10 at 6.13 this happened again, at 6.24 again at 6.26 .That was it until today Monday 5 th June 8.03am another 1gb data pack added at $10. This is outrageous, How many thousands of people is Telstra doing this to. I demand you reimburse me for the last two years gouging . I am taking this further, very publicly. I am going to ring your support centre but don't have any expectations of discernible English speaking support or for a reasonable resolution. The Saturday of 3rd June Telstra stuck me for 3 data packs. I am having trouble controlling my self here so I stop now before I express my self to the extent Telstra deserves. You have my phone number I know but so you can't say you didn't I will give it you hare now. 04********, you ring me to resolve this bull**bleep**, I should not have to wait on hold for 5 to 30 minutes to speak with a Philippine lady I will have trouble understanding. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @Kiwi59,

I'm sorry to see you've had such a poor experience. I've had to remove your personal details as this is a public forum and we can't guarantee the safety or security of any information sent across it. 

Have you lodged a formal complaint in regards to this? If so, do you have your SR reference number and I can follow up?

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I'm just starting again. You contact me, ring me and sort this. My whinge should not have been removed, what's wrong ? It's all true, I have not exaggerated one word. I am asking for your assistance. What and or where do I get this.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have only removed your phone number as we do not have access to your Telstra account or the ability to make calls via Social Media. This is a community forum and not a means of arranging contact from a consultant, I am sorry for any confusion. 

If you'd like to lodge a formal complaint, you can do so here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681... and a case manager will be assigned to contact you within 5 business days.

-Georgie

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more