Chestnutter
Level 1: Cadet

Data Usage

The data that is being recorded on my account is excessively higher than what I actually use. I've been monitoring what I use as I reached the 50% mark in only the first 10 days. I have only ever reached the 50% auto generated email a few times in the last few years. I have contacted Telstra and they have raised a complaint because they can't seem to see whats wrong. Now I have hit my plan limit and the speed has been throttled. The account hasn't been hacked as it only spikes when I would watch something on the weekend. The other day I was working from home, didn't watch any video and was slugged almost 7GB for web-browsing and emails. Additionally I can't view my previous 6 months usage history and Telstra can't explain why. Something is iffy and they won't/can't correct it. Can anyone offer any suggestions, otherwise it is time to change providers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Data Usage

You may be able to get an update through the "get help" tab of the Telstra app under "track my reported faults".

Having a complaint raised would involve a Case Manager assigned to investigate.

The Case manager would contact you once they have an update.

If you haven't heard back, check back in with the tech team to confirm there's a complaint case under your details.

Lizzie60

Re: Data Usage

I have had the same happen with my Nighthawk modem, and on the very first day, with only emailing etc and nothing big, looking forward to the first time ever watching a film in the country location where I was - it used the whole month's 20GB in a few hours.  I have tried to deal with Telstra about this since the day I bought it. I had to turn the computer off for the night, and by the morning, the whole lot was gone (when they sold it to me, they said 20 GB was adequate for their whole family for a month, what a joke).  I am now trying to change it to pre-paid so I can control it better, but may need to change provider as you are saying... with potential unlocking fee, not sure yet but it is rubbish. I have never used such a quantity of data in one go and they can't and won't fix it, they just say that I must have used it... or my phone is downloading and upgrading apps, this cannot be true as it has never happened before using a hotspot... not sure what to do, complaint went nowhere... hopefully I can unlock and and get away from Telstra with this device. 

Chestnutter

Yes Re: Data Usage

Hi Jayonaise

Yes I have a Case manager but when he called back there was no progress. I called again today to at least get them to un-throttle my internet until they work it out. First call nothing happened after he said he would un-throttle. Called back and the person said that there was no reference of the call earlier. They said "again" that they'll un-throttle my network. If it doesn't work then I'm off to find another provider.

jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Yes Re: Data Usage

The Complaints team can help with the other teams (faults/billing etc..) while the complaint case is open.

If you're not getting the speed back, the Case Manager can check on what's being done for you.

jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Yes Re: Data Usage

The Complaints team can help with the other teams (faults/billing etc..) while the complaint case is open.

If you're not getting the speed back, the Case Manager can check on what's being done for you.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more