CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Gaming on laptops using iPhone hotspot

Answered

Hi 

since the beginning of this month we have experienced connection issues to ROBLOX, Discord, fortnite and a few other games when attempting to play online via WiFi hotspot to iPhones. 

prior to this it all worked fine. 

the games will load but when we go to start a game (or call on discord) it fails. Roblox blurs out the screen, fortnite battles won’t start etc. 

I’ve completely disabled windows 10 defender, uninstalled kaspersky and downloaded latest iOS on the phones and even done a fresh windows install on one of the laptops. 

is this Telstra blocking’s the games?

laptops - omen 15 running windows 10

phones- 11pro max and a 6s

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Gaming on laptops using iPhone hotspot

I've no idea what caused the problem other than it is a problem specific to ios13 (along with a lot of other bugs that they have slowly been patching).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Telstra isn't blocking them.

It appears to be an iOS specific problem with hotspots as it is only happening with iPhones & iPads. Apparently Apple has acknowledged the issue internally.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/03/21/apple-warns-support-teams-of-ios-13-personal-hotspot-issu...

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you 

I’d not seen that message. I was overwhelmed tbh by the scope of the problem and number of programs that could be at fault. 

what’s weird is that it coincided with expiry of kaspersky. I wonder if it had somehow masked the traffic allowing it to get through. 

what’s even weirder is that our iPhone 6 still works just fine. All the games and discord work. That’s still on iOS 12.something and won’t be getting 13 I think. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I've no idea what caused the problem other than it is a problem specific to ios13 (along with a lot of other bugs that they have slowly been patching).

View solution in original post

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more