cathy64
Level 4: Private Eye

How to disable Extra data top up automatically

I saw previous posts (like in 2017) re consumers can't disable the automatic $10 telstra charge for exceeding monthly data allowance? This behaviour of ''robbing'' customers of extra $$ is unfair. 3 years later, has anything changed? Can anyone do anything about this? has ACCC done anything about it? I tried to contact Telstra but can't even talk to anyone as they will send you a link in text message and a virtual assistance comes and does not understand your issues. Frustration and time wasting. Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to disable Extra data top up automatically

The only way is to change plans. The current plans have "peace of mind data", ie they shape the service to 1.5Mbps when you exceed your allowance.

You will be migrated to one of these plans shortly anyway as all the old plans are being removed and services on these plans are being migrated to the closest current plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cathy64

Thanks for the response. Do you know will that happen? Once that ''peace of mind data" happens, is that means no more automatic top ups by Telstra?

jhwiz
Level 19: Deputy Director

The migrations happen in large batches of customers, it'll no doubt be soon, and yes once you use all your allocated amount of data it will be slowed to 1.5mbps until the end of the next billing period. 

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
cathy64

Thank you and can't wait. Telstra is making money out of consumers for nothing. They normally just top it up right near the end of the monthly cycle, even just a few hours before and it is useless for the following month as it does not carry over, it sucks. 

Jupiter

You don't need to wait, you can change your phone plan. They are all month to month now as well, so you can change it once per month if you want/need to.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
russbb
Level 1: Cadet

I just changed to the $55 sim only plan on the 23rd Nov and received the following SMS

Extra Data has been enabled on the mobile service XXXX XXX XXX. If you exceed your included data allowance we will automatically apply Extra Data to your service at $10 for each additional 1GB. To check your data options visit telstra.com/yourdata

Does this mean "peace of mind data" doesn't apply to SIM-only plans? 

JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Hi russbb,

All of our mobile plans include no extra data costs, changing over to the 1GB at $10 per block is an option you can choose instead of having your speed capped when you exceed your allowance. This is easiest enough to change via the Messaging Service in the MyTelstra app which you can download here https://tel.st/8l8lx . All you need to do is go to the 'Get Help' tab and then select either 'Message Us' or the blue speech bubble in the bottom right corner. Our AI, Codi, will ask what your query is about, it's best to use a simple phrase such as "Mobile Enquiry" to ensure you're put through to an agent who can assist as quickly as possible.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

cathy64

Best turn off the automatic extra data addition if you have that option. I would rather have the speed slowed than being charged $10 for 1gb only.  I was told ''old'' mobile data plan does not have that option.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more