Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

mobile data

Answered

A while ago, I've asked Telstra to turn off my Son's mobile data when he is not connected to Wi Fi.

I now need his mobile data enabled even though he is not connected to Wi Fi so I can track his location. I believe it's just a matter of clicking the data icon. But yesterday when we tried this, I still could not see his location because his data was still not switched on.

Do we need to ask Telstra to switch his mobile data on? If we can do this ourselves, can someone advise how? Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: mobile data

Hi d33,

Only a Telstra Employee would be able to reverse the barring of the Data at their end on the Account. 

Once Telstra has reversed the barring at their end you'll be able to press the Data icon on his mobile phone to be able to use Data on the mobile. 

You could try calling 132200 although it's very hard to get through on.

The other option is to send a message via the My Telstra App (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen).

If Codi the bot replies with an irrelevant response type "I want to speak to a human".

You'll be placed in a queue for a Telstra Employee to reply to your message.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You're welcome Smiley Happy

I also went through the "head banging experience" with Codi the first time I used the messaging service.

I was sooo frustrated that I typed "I want to speak to a human"....thank God that worked for meSmiley Wink

I've also barred Data on a mobile phone on behalf of a relative by calling Telstra.

That's why I know that you have to contact Telstra to get it unbarred.

A heads up....once they unbarr the Data on the Account you'll need to turn off the mobile phone (to reboot it) then turn it back on.

Just saying from past experience....Telstra Employees don't always tell customer's these thingsSmiley Wink

I do remember having to turn the mobile off and back after Telstra barred the Data.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi d33,

Only a Telstra Employee would be able to reverse the barring of the Data at their end on the Account. 

Once Telstra has reversed the barring at their end you'll be able to press the Data icon on his mobile phone to be able to use Data on the mobile. 

You could try calling 132200 although it's very hard to get through on.

The other option is to send a message via the My Telstra App (blue icon in the Get Help section, bottom right of the screen).

If Codi the bot replies with an irrelevant response type "I want to speak to a human".

You'll be placed in a queue for a Telstra Employee to reply to your message.

Highlighted

Thank you so much Smiley3 This is an answer I wanted to hear! Smiley Happy

I've tried 4 times calling Telstra number. OMG. Shattered...

I did message Codi too - it's kind of a head banging against the wall experience as well. But I'll follow your advise and try Codi again.

Thanks again Smiley Happy   

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You're welcome Smiley Happy

I also went through the "head banging experience" with Codi the first time I used the messaging service.

I was sooo frustrated that I typed "I want to speak to a human"....thank God that worked for meSmiley Wink

I've also barred Data on a mobile phone on behalf of a relative by calling Telstra.

That's why I know that you have to contact Telstra to get it unbarred.

A heads up....once they unbarr the Data on the Account you'll need to turn off the mobile phone (to reboot it) then turn it back on.

Just saying from past experience....Telstra Employees don't always tell customer's these thingsSmiley Wink

I do remember having to turn the mobile off and back after Telstra barred the Data.

Highlighted

Hi Smiley3,

Cool! Thank you for the tips.

Sadly the "I want to speak to human" didn't work for me. Codi replied "There's no Agent in this 24/7 live chat" - or something like this.

Oh well... we'll have to visit a Telstra shop this weekend. They can't get away from us then! Ha 

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more