Flippnlorry
Level 2: Rookie

SIM replacement

What happened to Telstra service? The SIM in my HTC mobile hotspot failed, probably as a result of the recent storms, and I urgently needed to get a new one. The advice on my Telstra Account login was that the simplest method is to visit a Telstra store with ID, and it should be all sorted in just a few minutes. Well 'no' - I went to my local Telstra Store at Sunshine Plaza (Maroochydore Qld) and was advised that I would need book in with a 1 hour to 1.5 hour wait time. Oh yes, the BIG one, and I was advised that they would also need to sign me up for payments on our account by debit authority to our bank account. "No way", I said, "as an ex-Banker I know the pitfalls of trying to get a direct debit cancelled when it is no longer needed, I don't have a direct debit with anyone." I was advised that it if I didn't agree to putting a direct debit in place, then I couldn't get my SIM replaced! So... I have a device that no longer works, for which I am paying monthly charges, and the Telstra Store insists on changing my payment arrangements before doing a free SIM replacement and getting me back online. I am still upset by the experience (and have now arranged online for a SIM replacement to be mailed to me. My fault, why did I believe the rubbish on the Telstra web about it being a simple swap at the store in just a few minutes?)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: SIM replacement

What the store was doing is completely wrong and they should have their contact to operate the store revoked. Lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Operators like them should be removed from the system. 

They should have just replaced the SIM on the spot.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero

Hi @Flippnlorry,

I agree with @Jupiter , lodge a formal complaint. 

They should have replaced the SIM without saying you have to change to Direct Debit.

I bet this store also uses the sneaky tactic of giving "FREE" Accessories to customer's when they purchase a new mobile phone...then the customer finds an Accessory Repayment Option charge on their bill.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
ProfessorPhone

Hello, I believe the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and the ACCC would be most interested in your experience.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Flippnlorry
Level 2: Rookie

I have lodged a formal complaint with Telstra as suggested

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more