Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra over-charging for data usage

I am writing to you after spending 50 minutes on the phone a couple of days ago to 5 different Telstra representatives without them being able to so much as comprehend my concern.  Here goes...

Telstra provide the 24/7 app to monitor data usage on my iPhone, which is fantastic.  I'm a fairly savvy user, however, and thought that my data usage was consistently high for what I would regard as moderate use of the phone (yes I understand the difference between having push email, downloading attachments, downloading music and video, etc, before you ask - and all of this is irrelevant anyway... read on).

So I decided to conduct a little experiment.  The iPhone has a mobile data usage calculator - so I reset it, and at the same time made note of the amount of data usage reported by the Telstra 24/7 app.  I've continued the experiment for a little over two weeks and I join you all today to present my findings.

The facts:

• Data used since 30th April (Telstra 24/7 app): 692mb
  • Data used since 30th April (iPhone Mobile Network Data Usage): 37mb sent / 347mb received - total 384mb
  • Amount of data billed since 30th April which my iPhone does not believe it sent or received: 308mb or an additional 45%

Now, if the additional amount billed was +/- 5% then that's fair game.  But 45% inaccuracy seems to me like a fairly big deal.

Possible conclusions to draw are:

• Telstra is using an inaccurate method for calculating data usage.
  • Telstra is billing me for data which does not actually make it to my phone (eg, I am using the Internet and enter a black spot - hardly my fault).
  • My iPhone does not accurately record data usage.
  • A combination of the above.

Which is it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.2 (yes, I know, a few sub-point revisions off the pace, but this version has all of the phantom data usage bugs fixed).

Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
82 REPLIES 82
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra over-charging for data usage

Hi Bla,

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation and I do understand your concern.  I am responsible for the ongoing support and strategy for the 24x7 apps and would like to look in to this more with you.

Firstly I'll explain how the data usage is calculated on our side as it can invoke some variance (although as you point out this is a lot more than I would think is normal) when comparing to the on device data meters:

As you may be aware a device holds a data session for as long as it needs to utilise the data. After a specific amount of  inactivity the data session will be torn down.  At that time our backend systems calculate the amount of data used in that session and applies it to your account. This means that until the session ends the data usage is not visible on the 24x7 app.

This means that at the time you reset your on device usage meter there may have been a session in progress which was at the time not applied to the 24x7 app. In saying this though a variance of the magnitude you are seeing is pretty unheard of.

I would like to investigate this further with you.  I would like to grab some details from you so we can have a look into your data sessions. If you could PM me the below details it would be great. Alternatively I can reach out to you via your registered email address in Crowdsupport.

MyAccount Username

Service Number:

Contact email:

Kind Regards

Duncan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Duncan

I've had this exact same issue, with the Telstra data usage meter often indicating more than 24 hours of data use (physically impossible!) in a day when my phone is on a wi-fi network and/or I'm asleep.

My understanding, having spoken to a Telstra rep and having been promised excess data charges & data packs will be refunded to me, is that this is a known iPhone 5 issue. I was told to do a full re-set of my iPhone to fix it, although noticed today I've already had more than 20 hours of data usage... bearing in mind it's only 4pm that is just incorrect. So the fix hasn't worked.

I think there's a fair degree of Telstra complacency on this issue, and it needs a fix, otherwise it's a straight cash cow for less-sophisticated users.

Cheers

Highlighted

I have been having the exact same problem and have been trying to fight it for awhile now but everytime I keep getting told that 'its right'. I don't understand when my data meter on my phone (which I have pictures for) said that I have only used 5.5gb in 3 months (3 bill cycles) yet Telstra has told me every month I have gone over my 3 gb data allowance every month. Which the cake topper being them saying I have used 1 gb extra on my last month, 4 gbs in one month!?! I am not a heavy user but I'm being told there is nothing that can be done as this is my fault. Yet my phone says 5.5gb in 3 billing cycles but Telstra says 10gb in 3 billing cycles. I'd love to know how many more people this is happening to, we can be the only ones. Before anyone gets to explain technology to me I understand how it works as I build and maintain computers for a living and also understand the Internet. Also to add I use to work for Telstra and this is why I am not understanding how I am being over charged or even being told I'm coming close. Bla I hope you got some answers and a resolve out of this.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Guys, I am sorry you are having these problems and Simond in particular it sounds like you have not been treated overly fairly.

I unfortunately do not have all the answers as this is a strange one to me and a bit outside my line of expertise  In this case the apps are literally a container for the information coming from our backend systems so do not adjust the values at all. There are a few aspects that can have a slight impact on the usage meter. Simond it sounds like you would be well aware of these but I also touched on them earlier in this thread.  There are some initiatives in place that will be delivered in early FY14 to help limit the impact of these in terms of the usage meter updating on a more regular basis however it should not affect the overall accuracy.

I you guys can PM me your details I would be happy to escalate this internally so we can figure out where the wheels are falling off in these cases.

If you can provide:

MyAccount Login

Service Number

Billing Account number (if on a plan)

any images you have captured or other notes.

Kind Regards

Duncan (24x7 app team)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Duncan,

I have just experienced the same issue. This is what happened to me:

* Wednesday last week was streaming some video for about 15 minutes and then quit
* One hour later received an SMS saying I had used 50% of my 1.5 GB data pack
* 20 minutes later I received 2 SMSs saying I had used 90% and 105% of my data
* That evening I checked the 24/7 app and it said I had used 2.8GB of data or 180%

Checking the usage on my phone it still says (over a week later) I have only used 1.3GB of data received and 400MB of data sent.

I am using the latest version of the Apple IOS and I believe what it is telling me and am dubious of what the 24/7 app is telling me.

How could this occur?

Thanks, Craig

P.S. Telstra has credited the additional data usage but have not admitted any fault.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Craig,

Thanks for reaching out. Could I grab some more details from you so I can pass them on to the platform leads to investigate further.

If you can PM me your service number, email address and My Account username if you have one that would be great.

Cheers

Duncan

Highlighted

Ever since I got my iPhone 5 I'm having the same issues and I'm going over the data allowance every month! We have ADSL2+ wifi at home and my phone automatically connects to it so that I don't use phone data at home. I don't stream any movies or shows, I have iCloud off, I've tried everything to keep under my data allowance to no avail! There's no way that m using over 1.75GB every month when at least 75% of my phone usage is on wifi.

My email is arow88@gmail.com and MyAccount username is arow88. I wold really appreciate getting this issue sorted out!

Anna
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for your post AnnaSmiley Happy This is definitely a concern and one our Mobile experts can check further for you, as it sounds like your phone is still using cell data when it shouldn't be. 

I will PM you to grab your details securelySmiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

My brother and I both have iPhone 5s, we use our phones in very similar ways, and are almost always connected to wifi. My data usage seems pretty consistent with my iPhone data usage statistics. His are completely different and he is constantly being overcharged for data. I know several other people with the same issue as him. Is this issue being investigated?
Highlighted

Hi guys

Just thought I'd give an update on my experience.  Can I start by saying that Duncan has been nothing but helpful and I thank him very much for his efforts and dedication to try and help get this problem resolved.  I'm sorry to say that's where the praise ends.

I received my first call from Telstra on Friday, almost 2 months after starting this thread.  What made this even more frustrating is that the person who called still struggled to comprehend my issue - suggesting that it may be due to billing cycles and the 24 hour delay in traffic appearing in the 24/7 app, which makes no sense whatsoever.

I was then told that the data being reported in the 24/7 app is correct and my phone is wrong, and that I should go in to a store to speak with someone about my problem.  I asked the person on the phone what would be checked in store and why can't we just do it over the phone, and they couldn't tell me what they would do in store (which made it appear as though perhaps they were just trying to palm me off).  I have zero confidence that anyone in store could help, and I'd just end up wasting more of my time.

To make matters worse, I received an email today which said "You recently contacted Telstra with an escalation or complaint.  Your escalation or complaint should now be resolved." so obviously they've marked my problem as closed.  Fair to say I'm not expecting to get to the bottom of this.

I've given up and added a data pack onto my plan at my own expense.

Highlighted

For the past 2 and a half yrs i have been on the same  $79 cap with telstra on my iphone 4s. Every bill recieved and payed has rarely exceeded the cap, except on a few occasions where it may have been higher around $100/$120 per bill mostly im assuming for going slighty over my data allowance - of which i was also being informed of during the pay period by telstra  i:e-  text alerts from them at 50% - 80% -100% and on some occasions exceeding my allowable limit,

But ,,,,,,, now i have just recieved last mnths bill from them (June) claiming $700plus is what is owed - due to excess data usage! I almost threw up! WTF is going on here?, I had used my phone that mnth no differently than i had done any of previous 28mnths yet they claim $700 is now owed??!!!

Well big news coming for them, unless they can prove that i have been sending and downloading massive amounts of data to Mars and Elvis all they will be recieving this bill is a big hello from thier good old friend Mr telecommunications Ombudsman!

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Diggler, the best course of action would be to get in touch with our Mobiles teams via the chat service at http://goo.gl/11oUE to lodge a complaint and request for investigation of the usage costs. Greg

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Reading the situations above I would like up add yo this as I have spoken with a few Telstra reps over the past few days and are getting nowhere.

I was sharing my iphone data with my laptop just to check emails yesterday. In the space of 20 minutes I received an SMS from Telstra claiming I had used 54% of my data. 5 minutes later 85% and 5 minutes after that 104%. Thought this was odd given I was only using IMAP to view email headers and all my windows and app updates are switched t manual.

Today I had to use my wife's iphone to do the same thing and guess what. I used 900mb + in the space of 25 minutes just for checking a few emails.

I upgraded my own data pack, an extra gb, and while I am typing this I get another message 88% of my new pack exceeded.

That's a total of over 2gb apparently used in the space of 45 minutes for checking about 5.6mb of email content.

Spent 30 minutes talking to Telstra reps who obviously know less than I if and cannot assist other than to tell me I don't know how yo manage my own data.

Can someone please help as this is obviously incorrect and is causing me no end of frustration. I have spoken with the ombudsman and they are keen to investigate this further as it seems to be so inaccurate.
Highlighted

God Give Me Strength!!!!!!

I joined Telstra July 2013 i am on the Every Day Connect Plan $130 Unlimited which includes unlimited eligible usage, unlimited standar national text and 3GB of data to use in Australia

My bills for July, August and September were normal but my bill for October was $550.78. I received a text message from Telstra on 14/9/2013 saying "youve used over 52% of your 3.00GB data limit with 20 days left.This info may be over 48 hours old" Then the very next day on 15/9/2013 i received another text from Telstra saying " youve used over 87% of your 3GB data limit with 19 days left this info may be up to 48 hours old"  1 day later i receive another text message from Telstra saying "youve used over 103% of your 3.00GB data limit charges apply this info may be up to 48 hours old"  Baring in mind i only use my iphone5 for phone calls text messaging and the occassional 2 minute look on facebook. The next day i get a phone call from Telstra and the lady said you have used all of your data to avoid paying for extra data use i suggest you pay an extra $30 and we will give you 6GB of data to use i said to her but i only use the phone for calls and text messages and the occassional 2 minute look on facebook. She said our system says you are using the data so you will have to pay it. I agreed to pay the extra $30 and Telstra then sent me a text on 24/9/2013 saying you now have 6GB of data to use. On 26/9/2013 Telstra sends me a text saying youve used over 86% of your 6.00GB data limit with 8 days left this info may be up to 48 hrs old" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOUR TELLING ME IVE USED 6GB IN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!! I DONT EVEN USE THE PHONE FOR THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!! This has gone on and on! I went to the Telstra store where i purchased the phone and the female staff member said "We cant help you if it says you are using the data then you are using the data" they were rude and cold when i bought the phone there they were happy to take my money but now they are not interested (TELSTRA SHOP RICHMOND NSW) the sales girl said "call Telstra" i sadi you are Telstra she said "I cant help you" So distraught & in tears i phoned Telstra 1 hour on the phone for the second time Telstra said our system says you are using the data you will have to pay the bill! I AM OT USING THE DATA!!!!! I have spoken to IT people and they said what i use the phone for is impossible for me to use 6.00GB in 2 days. I went to Apple they checked the phone and said there is nothing wrong with the phone! Apple dont care Telstra dont care! I am being charged for data use that i am not using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a total RIP OFF! and  i cannot find anyone to help me the data use is clocking up as i write this complaint! When i am at home my phone uses my bigpond wireless, when i am at work my phone uses my work wireless so it is absolutely impossible for my phone to be using these excessive data charges! This evening i have placed a complaint with the Telecommuncations Ombudsmen hoping they can help me. I have to say that i am appauled and disgusted at the service i have been given by Telstra once they take your money they do not care! My next step will be legal advice as i will not be charged for excessive data use that I AM NOT USING! for the next 24 month period of my contract! I have spent hours on the phone without a resolution this has had a negative impact on my business and my family life and i will be seeking compensation for my stress & trouble.Telstra have refused to provide me with proof of where & when the data has been used! How can you charge me for something you cannot prove or refuse to provide evidence! DISGUSTED AND RIPPED OFF!!!!!!!!  

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Unfortunately, with most modern smartphones (especially the 4G ones) it's very easy to burn through your entire cap in a matter of minutes. There are a number of bugs, or incorrect settings which can cause huge data usage, without actually looking like your phone is doing anything.  The main culprits are the cloud based services, such as iCloud. If the "Use mobile data" option is ticked, and it tries to sync your camera roll for instance, that will take a massive chunk out of your data cap.

A less known occurence, is where a download gets stuck in an endless download loop. This will most commonly happen the iPhone tries to update something, but for whatever reason can't complete the task. This will cause it to attempt to re-download the file over and over again.

The best way to avoid this, is to be pro-active and download a free data monitor. DataWiz is great and sits in the background monitoring your mobile and wifi data usage. (This is handy, as you can ensure that your phone is in fact using Wifi when you tell it to!)

Hope this helps

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rhonda21,

I am really sorry to hear about this.  Unfortunetly I'm not in the best position to help you with this directly but I have forwarded on this post to someone who might.

One thing I just wanted to check with you though is I am wondering if your phone may have downloaded iOS7 in the background without you knowing. If you go to Settings > General > Software Update does it display that you have a new version ready to install or does it show Download and Install?

Cheers

Duncan

Highlighted

It looks like i am in the same boat as you people. iphone 5 with IOS 7 and 2.73 GB data "used" in less than 24 hrs. The phone was switched off for half that time......curious indeed. I will watching the outcomes of your complaints with interest as we can't be fools can we?
Highlighted

I too am having this issue,

Ever since updating to the ios7, my last two phone bills have been over $400!!!

When i am at work i only use my phone for calls and texts, while i am home i use WiFi with my cellular data turned off. 

On weekend i live in the country, no reception and phone is ALWAYS on airplane mode, occasionally with it being off completely.

I have called telstra regarding the issue and that because of my security i can not get a break down of what i have used, even though it was my account? 

I have, for a year, have had consistant phone bills, all being paid.

It's only the past 2 bills, since i updated, that these magical charges have come about.

Telstra was NO HELP when i called then and i ended getting frustrated and extremely angry, going around and around in circles with them telling me that it isn't a telsta error (although jumping on here, clearly there is)

I did an experiment this morning, my phone was on wifi, i closed all my applications and turned off notifications. So far within the last HOUR i have used 1GB! What the heck?! 

Wish this got sorted, i was so happy with telstra before. 

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I see this sort of thing every day. The issue is the iPhone software, it is buggy.

I have 2 x android devices, the date use on those match exactly to what is on Telstra 24x7 App. Always has and always will.

Rest of my family have no issue either once the went off the iphone.

If you do not wish to have this issue, I encourage you to from now on look at android offerings, they are far superior hand set.

The problem is, the iPhone software sometimes when it says it is connected to Wifi, it is not, so it reads data as if it is, but yet it is not, it is using your mobile data.

Highlighted

I'm writing in regards to this over charged for data usage. I have read several stories on here and I'm experiencing the same problem. I have spoken to Telstra customer service several time but they really couldn't give a crap about it they just go on telling me how I can avoid it in the future little too late when I've already been overcharged I can never speak to any consultant here in Australia which is very frustrating as as far as I'm concerned the off shore consultants really don't care at all. I've just have one team leader tell me that an email was sent of to all Telstra customers explaining how to avoid these charges!! I'm sorry but I never received anything and really don't believe him at all his ID number is D686845 of you could confirm this. I would like someone to contact my in regards to this as I'm so frustrated and upset and to only have the issue confirmed and this page just tells me it's not just me. How can I be on the internet for 24hrs for 3 days in a row.
I'd appreciate a response ASAP

Zoe
Highlighted

That's disgusting Telstra best get on this before the ombudsman get involved cos that's my next call.
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zayleen81

It's a shame to read that you're considering going to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) in regards to your data charges. It sounds to me from the previous discussions you've described that the consultants you've spoken to have not found anything to indicate that your data charges are the result of an error or in anyway illegitimate. 

That being said, before you speak to the TIO I'd recommend raising the issue with our internal complaint management team via one of these methods: http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints/ . We'd love to resolve this with you ourselves and find a solution that you're happy with.

Thanks, Tim 

Highlighted

I have the same issue. Never used anywhere near half of my data for years with telstra now ive had to buy more ans its chewed through that. Going to the ombudsman because its a rip off. I have turned all automatic updates off and background apps and have left my facebook logged in on my pc and dont use anywhere near the amt of data the phone uses. Iv3 called telstra and they fob me off and say they cant tell how its being used. If more people complain to the ombudsman then hopefully they will be investigated. Did you have any success with them? TThanks.
Highlighted

diggler i have had an over 700 dollar bill and to top it off an over 900 bill and we use 3computers with wifi and an ipad at home yes our previous bill should be dearer as i had not added a pack of more gig and we couldnt get wifi for a few weeks...but now we are on wifi and i added an 8 gig plan in nov and now we have an over 900 dollar bill ...wtf

Highlighted

my god i have had the same thing happen do you think its to do with ios7 cause i only just put it on phone and i have had two large over 700 and 900 bills i dont get it...scared
Highlighted

i am going through the same thing right now...very untrustworthy this data business and I JUST GOT an over 1,6oo dollar bill when i have three computers and an ipad ...and use wifi at home wtf...and when i am out i use target wifi or coffee club wifi something deadly wrong here
Highlighted

maybe that could be true but then it would be doing that every month why just the last two bills and there seems to be a connection since ios7 downloads with other people too
Highlighted

doing that now
Highlighted
Community Manager

Purplemood, I would ask that you refrain from posting multiple times as you have done and instead edit the existing post with new content.

With each new generation of smartphones comes new features and services. With new features and services comes additional data. Sometimes customers will use more data without changing their underlying behaviour due to a new feature and sometimes it is that a new feature is so useful it gets used frequently.

Customers having issues with iPhones that have upgraded to iOS 7 would be well advised to read this article

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles-KB/Manage-Your-Data-Usage-on-iOS7/ta-p/200795

I use an iPhone 5 personally and rarely use more than 200 MB in any month. The best suggestion I can offer is to disable all cell data access to any apps that you don't actually need on the go.

Highlighted

Telstra,

I'm tired of hearing this repeated story.  Why should we the consumer pay for your systems failures i.e waiting 24 / 48 hours for your systems to say how much data we are using.  I have an "approved" verified app from Apple to monitor my data usage called Datamon pro. This app tells me what applications are using the data and your systems are far in excess of what the application is stating. So which company is correct, YOU or APPLE?

What I want to know is what the TIO have to say about this ?  Do we have to start a class action suit against Telstra as Apple state that the apps they allow on their sites are accurate?

I regularly turn my "cellular data" off 99% of the time Im home so that I use the home wifi and yet still chew the data use.  I shouldn't have to do this every time.

Telstra I await your public response?

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi aucorey71,

We can't comment on the accuracy of a third-party app as we do not have access to details about how it measures the data being used. Apple have an inbuilt measure of what apps are using data (more info here: http://goo.gl/Su47LH ) is there a particular app that you are seeing is using a lot of data?

Highlighted

Ashley,

thankyou for your responce however the section you refer to applys to data used by apps over the life of the device. It also turs on and off the data for particular applications.  Apple iOS does NOT record data use per app in a billing cycle.  When monitoring the app data use through the iOS (using billing date and subtracting the data used from the previous month) it is in fact lower than what the Telstra systems indicate.

I await your reply.

Corey

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi auscorey71,

I have to echo what Ash has advised as we cannot comment on the accuracy of a third-party app as we do not have access to details about how it measures the data being used. The usage meter should be used as a guide only. Network load and system maintenance may result in your usage meter not being up to date.

While all recent usage may take up to 48 hours to update, data usage is usually current as of about 6 hours ago.

You can view detailed usage of when the data was used via My Account http://tel.st/cpyn which should help point you in the right direction of what is using your data

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted

Hi,

I have been having the same problem and now owe Telstra over $1500 this is ridiculous. I have spoke to other Telstra customers and they have been having the same issue and it is only people with iPhones and who did the update a couple months ago. Time and time again Telstra tell me there is nothing they can do about it. I used to be with Optus and back then did use my phone to download things and not once did I ever get charged for excess data... If i could find a way to cancel my plan with Telstra I would and become an Optus customer again.

Something needs to be done about this as what normal person can afford a few hundred dollar phone bill each month???????

I am sick of getting told that I am going over my data and no matter what I do to try and avoid the charges they keep coming!! To say I am disappointed in the elvel of service provided by Telstra is an understatement.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dannid,

I'd suggest to lodge a Complaint if you'd like to have this further investigated you can do so here http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints/index.htm

Thanks

Highlighted

I would love to know the statistics on how many support calls Telstra get about this.

I have had this issue in the past. I refused to pay, and kept calling until I convinced a woman to remove it from my account. Yes they can do it. She tried to negotiate and say they would reduce it by 25%, then 50%. But I stood strong and got it removed completely.

Ive just burned through 2GB of data in about 3weeks. Again, I am not a heavy user, and have wifi at home. Something is up  but I can not prove it.

I registered to this forum to ask Telstra to stop with the canned responses and acknowledge there is a problem! The call centres and complaint departments do not understand the problem. You are frustrating customers by sending people there.

I will be following this thread closely.

Highlighted

Telstra,

What are you going to do about this, surely its enough to identify that there is a serious problem with your monitoring systems.    We keep logging issues with your complaints systems and yet again and again its occuring.

If Apple will allow their apps on iTunes surely it must be verified before they are allowed onto iTunes. 

aucorey71

Highlighted

Well my presumptions for my telstra bill / data usage appear to be confirmed.  

Have my latest invoice in the mail.  On the 13th of March I have 31 separate line items each exactly 120MB (+/- 3 kB) all happening about 1min apart and taking about 1min in duration.

Something fishy?

I guess Ill spend another 2 hours on the phone trying to explain my complaint. 

edit: bad formatting

Highlighted

I've just noticed the same thing in my data usage.

About 2 months ago, my data usage went from around 2Gb per month to using all the 8Gb in my plan (I have a wifi hotspot which I use with my PC and a Nexus tablet).

In my detailed data usage I have daily (sometime multiple) data blocks of 119,000kb. There's no way this lines up with my actual usage. I'm online now wth 24x7 chat but have just been transferred to someone 'more technical' but they haven't responded in over 20 minutes... I feel like they're hoping I'll just give up.

Highlighted
Community Manager

These 117 MB blocks are intentional and part of changes we have made to the usage meter recently to provide customers with more up to date info on their usage.

Every 24 hours or 100-120 MB of usage an update is forced on the usage meter. This means that a high usage session will result in consecutive 117 MB blocks showing up. They are actually all part of a single session.

By doing this we can send customers usage notification earlier than previously where data sessions would accrue GB's of usage over 24-36 hour sessions and cause customers to be charged excess without notification.

Highlighted

Smiley HappySmiley HappyHi Rhonda21 just wondering if your problem was resolved?

I have 5 mobile plans with telstra and thay are all using data when It shouldn't.

3 of the phones are completly turned off a night and yet it shows that we used data. We use wifi at home and telstra is completly useless saying they dont know go to a store done that still no resoloution. Hope you can help and if you can maybe telstra should give you a job

Highlighted

Same problem here too. I am a rural customer and was told that if I was in a poor signal area (which is all the time in regional Australia) then more data usage would be required to use the internet on my phone. I have had to turn my Cellular Data off because it was sucking my battery dry. But apparently I turned it on for half a day and it used over 50% of my allowance.

I would like to see this issue raised with the Consumer Protection Authorities. can anyone here comment if that is happening?

Highlighted

The Australian Communications and Media Authority has already warned Telstra about overcharging customers for Data. I think that there is too much red tape to do it any other way than take immediate action. What I mean to say is that your complaints are futile. Telstra did not act on customer complaints in the case above and that is why they received a warning,

I would like to begin this process by logging a complaint about being (clearly) overcharged for my data use. I have used 58 GB since October last year - that's 8GB per month - and have been charged for 15GB this last bill alone. Thats double my average use and I have turned everything off.

I have proof on my phone's proprietary data usage tracker that i have used far less data than i've been charged for.

Telstra needs to provide us with proof of how the data usage is recorded for our phones or reimburse the excess charges.

I also wish to be directed through the correct complaints channels by a Telstra moderator please.

Highlighted

I had a similar problem on a mobile broadband data plan - data use appearing on the 24/7 counter that far exceeded what we knew we had used. There were even charges appearing when there was no-one home and there were no devices connected to the internet (yes, network is password protected, always has been, etc). For example, we had been using our entire month allotment of data in under a week for the first two cycles, which did not reflect our usage whatsoever. No downloading, etc, just your average light browsing.

We had tried to discuss this issue with Telstra through multiple different channels with zero success – called up, told to go into a store, store said call this number, phone said call this other number, etc. Eventually we decided to go to the telecommunications ombudsman, which prompted a call from the Telstra complaints department where we finally spoke to someone who knew what they were talking about.

There was a bit of communication back and forth where they kept telling me that their data counter was correct etc, even though I explained over and over again my issues. One day our data counter jumped from about 70% to us having used around 2GB over our plan, therefore hitting us with around a $300 excess data bill.

Obviously not happy, we got back on the phone and spoke to the same department, explaining how ridiculous everything was, and eventually they agreed to refund the excess charges. After that we decided to not push our luck with the complaint and just monitor our usage extremely carefully for the next few months until the exit fee was low enough that we could get out of this plan.

This was about two weeks ago, and since then, our usage has been completely normal. Exactly what we would expect from a normal data counter. We have been using the internet in exactly the same way, except for checking the data meter much more often, and in comparison to the first two cycles where all data was used within a week, we are a few days away from the new cycle and still have only reached 77% of the monthly allowance.

I’m not sure exactly what was going on for the past few months, but ever since we complained and kicked up a fuss about the data usage, it has completely changed and we are not having any issues with odd data being charged.

Highlighted

Made a huge mistake changing from Optus to Telstra. I have only ever used 320mb of data a month with Optus as I work from home and use Wifi. Been with Telstra a few weeks and have used nearly 2GB of mob data in 2 weeks whilst on wifi. I ring Telstra and I am told to turn off cellular data whilst using wifi (so everytime it go in and out if house turn on and off). My usage has been while I have been asleep with no apps open and hooked up to wifi. I have no difference in anything with exception that I am now with Telstra. I have been using iPhones since the day they arrived in Australia. Crazy. Not happy.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi All,

I understand that there are some concerns that data is being billed incorrectly and I can assure you that Telstra has taken steps to investigate this several times over the last few years with the increase in customer complaints about data. No systemic issue was found with the way usage is recorded and charged.

No system is perfect and errors do occur so if you have concerns, after having investigated your own usage then contact our billing team so we can lodge a usage meter fault.

Personally I am an iPhone user and when I was using an iPhone 4 my average usage was 100-200, when I upgraded to an iPhone 5 my usage increased to just under 1 GB. By adjusting the settings on the phone I was able to reduce this to 300-400 MB as I was using some new features that utilised data. I strongly recommend iOS7 users to review the link I posted in December as, in most cases, you will be able to identify the source of the usage.

Note, that usage increases are often as a result of a change in phone/app/service features rather than user behaviour. One of the biggest increases recently was caused by Facebook playing/buffering video automatically.

Highlighted

And I can assure Telstra that they have not solved their (sorry, our) problem.

There is something very strange about the way Telstra measures data.  This stream has been dedicated to mobile data.  My experience is with my recent cable internet connection.

I won't bore you with the detail of my daily 55 minute phone calls to Telstra - many have experienced those - without resolution, or even being able to speak to a human being; or that it took 3 days to establish an email account (90 seconds if you use Gmail) and the information on their website, at least for Mac users, is simply wrong. 

In the first three days that I have had this connection (yes, in only three days I have been driven to this level of despair), my account tells me that I have used 17% of the monthly data allowance (of 100GB). Previously, I was on a 60GB plan with an independent ISP using ADSL2 and never used anywhere near that allowance in any month, ever.  To think that I have consumed 50% of my monthly average usage in three days - including the first day the connection was established (well, call that half a day), and one day when no one was home - simply beggars belief.

Either Telstra's bytes are smaller than every other provider; their data measurement technology needs to be recalibrated; or, worse, there is something more nefarious at play. 

It's a good thing that I am a shareholder - though I am now ashamed to admit that given this stream of comments. 

If this doesn't resolve, then it's off to the ombudsman for me.  And I won't be paying Telstra to take this junk away!

As I sat on the phone, I pondered whether Telstra ever receives any compliments?  It was at that point, I realised I was becoming delirious. 

Keep swinging Dan, you might win someone over!

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi PHF,

If this is a brand new connection & you're close to your billing cycle, you'll find the data is pro rata & would only get the usage allowance for this time until your next billing cycle where you'd get 100GB.

We can check this to make sure everything is ok on our end via http://tel.st/gq6m or by calling 133933

That being said, we do have tops we can apply if you run out of data & you can find more about this here Top-ups our new solution when you've exceeded your Fixed Broadband Data limit

Apologies for any inconvenience 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted

Hello Shannon,

You response is ambiguous.  Are you saying that the limit is pro-rated or are you saying that the way data is measured or reported to me is somehow different in the first billing period?

Yes, it is a new connection.  The daily usage is higher than I have experienced in the past.  I therefore expect that with historical usage patterns, I will run out of limit before month end and drop back to a trickle download rate, at which time my blood pressure will become critical.

I switched to cable because the ADSL service is unstable.  I presume that this is because I am hostage to Telstra's network - no alternative line provider goes past my house - and that the problem is with the exchange or copper network, as the phone service is pretty poor.  I live within 15 kms of centre of Sydney - the largest city in the country and I cannot get a stable or honest internet service, or a clear telephone line, and there is no competition.  I've travelled extensively, and the cost and quality of our communications is some of the worst I've experienced.

To give you just one example of how outrageous Telstra's roaming data charges are, I was in Indonesia recently and purchased a pre-paid SIM card for phone and data.  For $9 I got unlimited local calls and 2GB of data.  If I had used 2GB of data on my Telstra mobile with data roaming, the cost would have been approximately $31,000 - and that's not a typo.  Sure you dropped the the data charges from $15/MB to $3/MB, so that would have fallen to a mere $6,000.  Good one Telstra

Telstra has the market and its cutromers stitched up very nicely.  

But it's nice to know that Telstra does employ some humans.  Keep up the good work.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more