Peter12345
Level 1: Cadet

Tethering vs prepaid dongle

Does the performance differ between tethering from a mobile phone and WiFi from a broadband dongle? By performance I mean data transfer rates as well as cost per MB.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cretsiah
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Tethering vs prepaid dongle

@Peter12345

its a bit awkward to compare mobile phone allowances to dongle allowances... (mobile phone is more than likely to include extra's like calls and texts)

in terms of  the cost per MB this will be more reliant on the specific plan you take up pre-paid or post paid.

in terms of performance this will depend on whether the phone and/ or dongle are 3G or 4G compatible.

3G would be like ADSL

4G would be like NBN Fibre (except tends to work more often than not Smiley Tongue)

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Peter12345
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Tethering vs prepaid dongle

I may have found the answer myself. Telstra dongle rates vary from $20 for 21 days to $180 for 365 days working out at 8c/Mb to 1.46c/Mb. For phones (just the cost of data) PrePaidPlus only go in 28 day cycles $30 to $50 or 2c/Mb to 1.25c/Mb. Unused value is rolled over if you roll over before time runs out. Simplicity is always 10c/Mb and varies from 30 days to 180 days depending on value of top up. Unused value is rolled over if you roll over before time runs out. Day2Day cost $1 a day for 100Mb or 1c/Mb but only if you use it all and there is no roll over.

So cheapest Mobile tethering is 1c/Mb or more realistically between 1.25c and 10c /Mb. Cheapest Dongle rate is 1.46c/Mb.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more