JesusH
Level 2: Rookie

What is going on with Telstra 4G?

Using a Telstra 4G service in Alstonville NSW to make and receive calls over a SIP based PABX. Last 5 weeks it has been woeful - calls dropping out, bad voice quality, calls not even making it through. Outages map says no interruptions in our area, but there have been widespread outages nearby in Lismore, NSW.

Speed tests for data are variable, but should be enough to manage VoIP. What is going on?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: What is going on with Telstra 4G?

It could be a side effect of the nearby outages.

Are you or other people having problems using their mobiles? If not, then it sounds like an issue with the VOIP service, rather than the network itself.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

All around Australia Telstra are adding 5G antennas and transmission equipment to their towers. In almost most instances the 4G antennas are moved from the prime position on towers for 5G which is more critical. There have been innumerable reports of 4G disturbance, and almost all are due to work on towers. It is not just one tower in your area, as the transmit power and receive ability of the surrounding towers are affected. When the project area by area is complete, the local network is returned with all the surrounding cells locking into each other and the powers are reset to optimum. They are call cell phones/towers because each cell is engineered to work with the 3 cells that surround it.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
JesusH

Thanks Jupiter.

Yes some problems with using mobiles, but its so variable. Cellular seems to be OK, but data is all over the shop. And we suffer from average reception anyway, along with being in a weird spot - switches between 4G and 3G sometimes. VoIP won't work with 3G so the LTE modem is set to only 4G and we have a booster aerial installed. Normally its fine, just the last 5 weeks since we had flooding. And, for some reason, VoIP is terrible over NBN fixed wireless, so we're stuck with this. Optus 4G is better here (and chugging along with no disruption) but it doesn't support VoIP I believe, so there's that as well.

I know Telstra have issued notifications of widespread outages in NSW Northern Rivers. They say they have till end Jan to fix it all under their mass disruption ToS, but its getting ridiculous.  I can accept disruptions happen, but when Telstra say there are no interruptions in our area it is annoying. 

Thanks again.

Jupiter

Sounds like they may have lost some of their backhaul capability due to the floods and are prioritising voice traffic over the network rather than data. Reduced capacity wouldn't necessarily be recorded as an outage.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JesusH

Thanks, Prof.

That helps explain it. Be nice if Telstra were transparent about it and just admit there will be disruption as the 5G roll out occurs. Never heard from them the explanation you have given. The irony is, from the 5G roll out map that I've seen, it won't even reach the small patch of ground we occupy, being just out of town. 4G coverage here is 2 bars compared to 4 or 5 bars just 2 kms away in the town. Hopefully it will improve as they muck around with positioning antennae.

Thanks again. Onya

JesusH

Thanks, Jupiter.

They could at least record reduced capacity as interruption/disruption, without noting its a full blown outage. Cheers.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more