Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Wifi data mystery

For the last month I have had all wifi symbols displayed on all devices, my TV is connected and I’ve been watching Netflix etc however the data usage for my wifi account is 0 but the data being used on my phones is excessive considering both my daughter and I are almost always home and apparently connected to the wifi. I have NBN and all lights are green on my system apart from the signal is orange. Any ideas? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Wifi data mystery

The usage on your Home Broadband will be showing as 0 as the counters were turned off when all plans went Unlimited data until 30 June.

Your phones may have "download booster/assist", "Mobile data only app" or equivalent activated (which uses both Wifi and Mobile network concurrently).

You can also go to settings->connections->Data Usage->Mobile Data Usage to see which apps are using mobile data.

There is also a setting on Android 10 devices for Data Saver that you can switch on that will help reduce usage.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

Keep tabs on your estimated usage with the My Telstra app.

Find out more