Nigel41
Level 2: Rookie

Adding bigpond.net.au email account to Outlook for Office 365

OK so I have Outlook as part of my Office 365 subscription and want to add my bigpond.net.au email account to outlook.  I went through all the steps to add account entered IMAP settings and passwords and got the following message:

"Something went wrong:

We couldn't find the outgoing (SMTP) server. Please check the outgoing (SMPT) server name in account settings and try again."

My settings appear to be correct:

Incoming mail:

imap.telstra.com Port 993

Encryption SSL/TLS

(I leave the "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" unchecked)

Outgoing mail:

Server imap.telstra.com Port 465

Encryption method SSL/TLS

Check the box "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)"

I entered the password for my bigpond.net.au address (as opposed to my MS365 password - which didn't work either)

I have added my gmail and outlook email addresses without any issues 

Any suggestions as to how to add this bigpond.net.au account would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Nigel

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Adding bigpond.net.au email account to Outlook for Office 365

You were close..  try  

Outgoing server details:

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com

• Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587

• SMTP authentication: On

• Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Nigel41

Thanks but I still get the same error message.... Any other ideas?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Outgoing server is not  imap.telstra.com but smtp.telstra.com.

SteveW_52

Not really.. 

my pixels GMail is happy with those settings but in my Outlook 365 there is smtp.bigpond.com  instead of telstra..  could be worth a try?

Do you need SPA enabled?

Have you got 'My outgpoing (SMTP) server requires authentication set to use the same settings as the incoming server?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Nigel41

Thanks Steve, I'll try again later as I have to go out shortly and will let you know but I don't remember seeing the option to ensure that My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication set to use the same settings as the incoming server....

cf4

The setting is located under Email Account Settings >  "More settings" > Outgoing server Tab

Nigel41

OK still no luck. I suspect that it is something to do with telstra bigpond as it works fine with other email addresses such as gmail and outlook. I'll have to get a young man with a ponytail and earing to look at it! :-) Thanks anyway.

SteveW_52

Have you checked that your credentials work in Webmail?

You could also try using Port 25 for the O/G server..  and try turning different options on and off but it should work as you have it set....

Stevo 52
Nigel41

Yes thanks Steve they do. As a stop gap measure I have just added webmail to my tool bar and can access my bigpond.net.au account through there. I have a feeling that the .net.au server is quite old and probably doesn't really talk to 365 but it may also be something to do with a .pst file that it says it cant sync because its open... Clutching at straws here a bit. 

At least I can still access through webmail.

If you do have any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel41

Oh I did try the port 25 but still no luck unfortunately.

cf4

Have you tried using another email client such as thunderbird or thr mail app pre-installed on windows PCs?

SteveW_52

If it is a PST file issue, you could try repairing it... 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-...

Or you could try a repair on Outlook via Windows Control Panel | Programs and Feature - right clicl on the Office program (there is a local and a full on line repair option).

If you can find a PST file for that email account you could also just delete it, if it is new. or temporarily rename it so that outlook creates a new one..

Port 465 works fine for my bigpond accounts so I think the server is OK.

You could also see if you can add that account to GMail on a mobile device..  its a bit of a try and see situation I think..

Stevo 52
Nigel41

Yes I can access my bigpond.net.au email on line and via webmail so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I just can't add it to Outlook in office 365.

Nigel41

OK I ran the repair (two minor issues were found) restarted and still no joy.

Renamed it and still no joy.

Yes I added the account to my Gmail on my mobile and it works fine. So now I am thinking maybe its something on this laptop that is out of kilter.

N

SteveW_52

Sure seems weird to me.. especially as it is just the Bigpond email causing problems..

Does that email account show up in Outlook, even though it doesn't work? If so, have you tried deleting the account? (if the PST file exists, then you should move that it case you need it later..). Close Outlook and then shut down Windows and wait a few minutes before starting it up again. Then open Outlook again and check if the account is there. If not try adding it again..

Outlook and Bigpond will allow you to add both POP3 and IMAP versions of the account at the same time so if IMAP doesn't work, try the POP option?

Stevo 52
Nigel41

OK thanks Steve

As I access Bigpond.net.au from multiple devices, I am reluctant to use the POP3 as once I open an email on one device the email won't always be available on other devices. However I tried it (thinking I can always delete it later in any case) Unfortunately I get the same error.

So back to the other suggestions:

The email account for my bigpond.net.au does not show up in outlook. Even after I try adding it, it does not appear.

I have tried removing the pst file (renaming it) and re-booted then tried to add my bigpond.net.au account again.  Still no luck.

I think I am out of options but happy to receive any ideas that people may have!

N

cf4

To try to find out what is causing the problem open a command prompt on your laptop and do a tracert to smtp.telstra.com and post the results.

SteveW_52

Yo can have both POP and IMAP versions of the same bigpond email account..  it was something to try to verify the credentials and server settings really. I haven't experienced that in Outlook 365 and I use GMail on my pixels to pick up bigpond email there..  no issues at all. Very puzzling.

I would have suggested creating a new bigpond email account to try and see if that works (which would then point to something in your 'faulty' email account) but I don't think you can get a new bigpond email anymore.

Stevo 52
Nigel41

OK Steve I have resolved the problem but don't know how.

I think the problem may have arisen from a conflict between webmail and outlook. Once I had deleted my bigpond.net.au account from webmail (so webmail had no accounts associated with it) I then went to Outlook and deleted what appeared to be a duplicate outlook account (strange I hadn't noticed it before) then I added my bigpond.net.au account using imap and smtp which was instantly recognized and downloaded all my files etc.

Many thanks to you and everyone else that offered solutions! The issue is now resolved..... (I hope!)

N

SteveW_52

Great that you got a fix for it...

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit