Ben-999
Level 1: Cadet

Holding the line open after an anonymous threatening call

Hi Crowd Suppport Community,

I'm reviewing some emergency procedures and in the "Bomb threat" section it recommends keeping the phone line open even if the caller hangs up.   

Iremember this from years ago, but technology has changed and it might not be helpful.

Does holding the line open still help? and how?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Holding the line open after an anonymous threatening call

That is still the recommendation from Australian Law Enforcement Agencies.

Victoria-Police-Business-Security-Info-eKit.pdf

292859_0615_G015397_NSW_Police_Brochure_-_Bizsafe.pdf

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ben-998
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Jupiter, this info will be helpful. 

I'm still curious how/to what extent holding the line open will help with modern exchange technology, and whether the data is available regardless (like billing history).

Jupiter

While the line is open, it is easier to identify the call and trace the path that the call made. Information is lost when the connection path is closed. Billing history information is not very comprehensive (it doesn't include information about incoming calls).

If you hang up, then more incoming calls can be received, which makes identifying the exact call more difficult (especially if it is to a business that has many incoming lines).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit