Maz16
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem and 5G

Answered

I have a Telstra Smart Modem for my Telstra NBN plan but would like to use a Telstra Smart modem with a 5G data only plan.

Can I swap the original sim card to the new 5g data only sim, disconnect the phone line and it will work basically like a mobile wifi dongle if plugged to power?

This would help as I live away from home often and can't afford a 5g wifi dongle.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Maz16
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem and 5G

Thanks for your help with this.

Seems like I'll need to save up for the 5g mobile device.

cheers

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

If you are talking about the current Smart Modem 2 devices, then the short answer is No.  The current Smart Modems do not work on the 5G bands. So a 5G SIM, while it can be installed, will actually only work on 4G

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The modem will work with a 5G data SIM but will only connect to the 4G network. For modem to work with the 5G data SIM you will also have to change the APN name in the modem settings to telstra.internet.

Maz16

A friend uses their Telstra Modem on an NBN plan, to connect to to 5G without making any changes.  Moved to new address, plugged in, and selected their Telstra modem with 5G after the title and hey pesto - connected.

How does that work?

SteveW_52

Sorry, but you are confusing the Mobile 5G band, with the Wi-Fi 5G Band.. The modem is NOT connecting to the Mobile 5G network at all is is technically not capable of doing that.

The Telstra Smart Modem 2 devices have a 4G backup capability - which runs on the Mobile 4 G Network (NOT 5G capable) when the NBN service fails.. to keep your internet functioning in an NBN outage..

The Smat Modem 2 has dual Wi-Fi bands..  on at 2.4 GHz band and the other in 5 GHz band..  there is a setting called band steering available in the modem - when Enabled the 2 bands share the same Wi-Fi network name (SSID) broadcast. But if the setting is Disabled there are two seperate SSID broadcast, which have a similar name, but the 5G Band has -5G appended to the network name..  that is very very different to the Mobile 5G system..

Many people get Mobile 5G (which requires special hardware in the phone or modem device), confused with 5 GHz Wi-Fi which is commonly supported by modem/routers and user devices such as phones/laptops etc.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Maz16
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your help with this.

Seems like I'll need to save up for the 5g mobile device.

cheers

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit