Axel62
Level 2: Rookie

No android updates

Hi

Unsure if anybody can help but I have a Nokia 8 dual sim running android 8.0 with February security patch. The main sim is Telstra with an Optus back up.  However the phone wont update to the March or April security patch or even Oreo 8.1.  The UK experienced the same problem but that now appears to be fixed. Its Nokia phones in Australia that fail to update now as I have read numerous posts from Aussies on the Nokia site.  I have contacted Nokia but their response did not help for eg, use vpn, disable location services etc.  I read an article where carriers can with hold android updates.  Is this true and where can I find help from someone in Telstra to ask are they with holding an update to Nokia phones.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No android updates

I can't see anywhere that says that Telstra ever sold the Nokia 8.

Assuming that they didn't, then they won't be holding up the firmware as they have no part in the process (your phone is either unbranded or has firmware from another carrier).

You might need to go to Nokia's global site and ask the question there.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/home

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Axel62

I purchased the phone out right but am on Telstra $79 sim only plan with a pre paid Optus as back up for when there is no Telstra coverage in the bush, which does happen. At startup, it updated straight to Oreo 8 but nothing since then. I've also been on the Nokia forum site and contacted Nokia directly but still nothing. According to some people on the site, when they contacted Nokia, one of their responses was to blame phone carriers, particularly UK phone carriers for withholding updates. But it appears UK users are now getting the patch.
However, it appears us Aussies aren't getting updates. I also read an article from Android Central, which was dated December 2017 where it does say carriers can withhold Android updates. But I believe this is USA article. Either way, I'm unsure where to go as there is no update to the phone. The April patch is out already and I'm stuck on February still. According to Nokia forum site other Aussies are sharing my problem that it appears no one can answer for the moment.
Jupiter

In this case then, the ball is squarely in Nokia's court.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Axel62

That's what I was thinking but since I've only been on android for 12 months was unsure. I did have thoughts that Nokia may have either forgotten or abandon the aussie market. Maybe I should have stayed with Iphone and not try to go nostalgic and believe that the once great Nokia phones can make a come back. Live and learn I guess.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit