STANFORD1927
Level 6: Bloodhound

Replacing mobile Flip phone for smart phone

Answered

Hi Everyone I currently have an old Telstra flip phone Next G/3g network. I would like to upgrade to a smart phone. The 2 Telstra shops near me  Ringwood (Eastland) and Chirnside Shopping Centre do not have good reputations for service. I also don't want to use their messaging service as I have had time wasting experiences with them . Is it possible to apply for an upgrade of a mobile phone  via a phone call? I prefer to ring them as there are to many scam callers these days. Does any one know the best phone number to use to get good old fashioned service and advice in regard to the best plan/mobile service for myself? Sorry if some of my comments sound negative but again I would prefer either phone contact I initiate or personal face to face with people I can trust. I have landline/computer/mobile plans with Telstra. Thanks for any assistance. Cheers 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Replacing mobile Flip phone for smart phone

The only number is 132200, and for sales they will probably put you through to a store anyway (I'm not sure if they have brought those calls back in to the call centres yet).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

You could try 132200..  but I can't promise you'll get the old fashioned service you want unfortunately...

Another option might be to use the My Account web pages..  log-in, go to services and then go to your existing service number and look for the upgrade option - you can choose a handset and plan to suit you, all online and at your leisure..  you need to som reseach on what you want before you start - https://www.telstra.com.au/  go to Personal menu then the type of service 'Mobiles on a Plan', or 'Prepaid' etc. 

Be aware that if you go with a plan change (your one sounds quite old?) or a new plan, you might need to do it with the Direct Deposit / Prepay that is now Telstra preferred option. But if you are able to 'upgrade' the handset (which might not include going to a new plan) you might be able to stay on your present arrangement.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

My apologies, I have given you the wrong advice! That process used to be possible, but doesn't seem to be available any more.. 

Instead, you would have to go to Telstra  and decide what handset you want, then in the purchase process you should be able to enter that you are an existing subscriber and provide your number...

It seems to be a more difficult process now, I used the previous process not that long ago to upgrade a device and it was very quick and easy (I knew what I wanted)..

Stevo 52

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The only number is 132200, and for sales they will probably put you through to a store anyway (I'm not sure if they have brought those calls back in to the call centres yet).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

You could try 132200..  but I can't promise you'll get the old fashioned service you want unfortunately...

Another option might be to use the My Account web pages..  log-in, go to services and then go to your existing service number and look for the upgrade option - you can choose a handset and plan to suit you, all online and at your leisure..  you need to som reseach on what you want before you start - https://www.telstra.com.au/  go to Personal menu then the type of service 'Mobiles on a Plan', or 'Prepaid' etc. 

Be aware that if you go with a plan change (your one sounds quite old?) or a new plan, you might need to do it with the Direct Deposit / Prepay that is now Telstra preferred option. But if you are able to 'upgrade' the handset (which might not include going to a new plan) you might be able to stay on your present arrangement.

Stevo 52

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

My apologies, I have given you the wrong advice! That process used to be possible, but doesn't seem to be available any more.. 

Instead, you would have to go to Telstra  and decide what handset you want, then in the purchase process you should be able to enter that you are an existing subscriber and provide your number...

It seems to be a more difficult process now, I used the previous process not that long ago to upgrade a device and it was very quick and easy (I knew what I wanted)..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit