Ta20
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Metgear Nighthawk MR1100 firmware fix dropouts

This is the firmware status of my Telstra MR1100 firmware. 
it drops out regularly - both wifi & LTE.

Hopeless LTE & wifi speeds since firmware update. iPhone Xr LTE downloads are fantastic when not using MR1100 as the wifi internet access point.

MR1100 Wifi hopeless on both 2.4 & 5Ghz. No congestion (neighbours too far away).

No logs to view or debug at first glance.

Netgear have new firmware which addresses some known connection dropouts.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061730/MR1100-Firmware-Version-12-06-11-00

Telstra have removed option for manual download and update in router Web admin page and netgear app. Boo. How do I resolve this? Cmon Telstra. Plse.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
hyppolyte
Level 8: Inspector

Re: Telstra Metgear Nighthawk MR1100 firmware fix dropouts

Hi @Ta20 ,

I too am unable to apply the latest Netgear CDC update. Even the link on the update page "how do I manually update .... " for MR1100-1TLAUS leads to an error page. Manual update still available on device webpage but it rejects the .spk file.

There is no sign that Telstra will ever devote any attention to upgrading what it considers to be a superseded device.

i.m.o there is no significant advantage in the M2 or M5. All have inadequate user controls and logging.

Last week my M1 dropped out to the woeful speeds you have shown. That was despite it being located 2 feet away from a Telstra Go repeater. A reboot was a temporarily fix, but it continued to drop down to an H+ signal, presumably from the town tower 3 kms away, ignoring the 4GX.

I had to change the Settings|Advanced Settings|Cellular from Auto to LTE all for the first time since 2017.

Speeds are back normal. If yours is still set to Auto this may help.

Previously added ipv4v6 settings may help future proof.

I have added a Netgear D6220 set to ethernet only input to give granular control over the household network. Downside of this is MR series will not provide downstream ipv6. Many upsides.

Education by osmosis is my preferred option
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Hyppolyte and Ta20. 

You will need to speak to technical support about this for further help. 

You can get in touch via the My Telstra App messaging service (link here https://tel.st/blu6f). Just click on the "Get Help" menu icon and then click on the "Message Us" button and type "modme technical support".

If you get stuck on the Codi chat bot, you can type "Consultant" to get through to a team member. 

You can also try calling on 133933 or 1800 834 273 but wait times are long at the moment so you may find calling earlier in the morning a bit easier to get through. Be sure to also record any reference numbers you are given.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MichaT
Level 2: Rookie

Is Telstra ever going to fix this problem? I have the exact same issue. I have called and spoke to several different reps about this problem, wasted hours on the phone with techs who have no clue. Still no solution. The firmware update that will fix this issue has available for non Telstra M1 units for months. But if you are stuck with a Telsta M1 bad luck. I will never buy a Telstra device ever again.

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hey MichaT, 

Reach out to our technical/faults team via our in app messaging or on 132203. 

They would be the best team to provide you answers or investigate further.

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MichaT
Level 2: Rookie

The only fix is for Telstra to make the latest firmware available. I am not wasting anymore time with your techs. Just get it done.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit