Nessed
Level 2: Rookie

Bad reception through Foxtel cable

Hi,
I have Foxtel by Telstra through the old Foxtel cable and I also have my internet connection with Telstra through the same cable. My Foxtel reception has been pixelating for the last 18 months (worse at night) and now any tv show I download on demand or just record live is pixelating and/or freezing. I have to go back to the Planner and chose a later viewer defined time spot to keep watching the downloaded/recorded show. I’ve had a technician come out last year and do something outside my house with the Foxtel, and he gave us a new modem. But it didn’t help.
I think it’s because of the nbn using the Foxtel cables in our area. NBN had to stop the rollout for a few months while they “upgraded” the lines. NBN has started rolling out again and my Foxtel reception is now even worse.
The Foxtel by Telstra customer service person offered to install a satellite dish and replace my Foxtel boxes.
Yes, it will fix the pixelating on my live tv and any shows I record live. But I’m worried this won’t fix my on-demand downloads because I’ll still be using the same dodgy internet connection with Telstra to download into my Foxtel box. The customer service person didn’t know the answer.
Does anyone know if I’ll still have problems with the OnDemand pixelating and freezing? No point doing all this upgrading if I still can’t download.
Thanks in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Bad reception through Foxtel cable

Foxtel are moving people over anyway, so it will reach a point where it will be Satellites or nothing for Foxtel with NBN taking over the lines.

Satellite is capable of higher quality, but, on demand is still going to depend on your internet connection as to ideal streaming quality. But downloads should be ok, once the file is downloaded it should play fine from the Harddrive.

But once nbn is all in place and fully rolled out long term you should be able to get a pretty stable connection. Especially if you are getting NBNHFC as it is a pretty solid connection type.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Nessed

Thank You!
I guess I need some patience while nbn gets their act together.
I’ll go ahead with the satellite upgrade.
Cheers!
Nessed

Hi DrQ

The technician installed the satellite dish and gave us an iQ4 as well as a new iQ2 in the other room.
OMG!!! My Foxtel reception is crystal clear! Amazing!!! Downloads are perfect. Pixelation is gone!!!
Wow, Foxtel never looked so good!
The 4K channel is beautiful!
Thanks for your advice!
DrQ

That is awesome to hear. The 4K capability is great and I am glad to the he download issue is fixed too. Sounds like it worked out. Now just gotta get nbnco to fix their act and you sound like it will be a good end result haha 🙂
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit