Paul987654321
Level 1: Cadet

Foxtel Go , wifi hotspot??

Hi,
Here is a question about Foxtel Go to a smart TV, in a van, parked in the middle of nowhere, where there is no WiFi, only phone service.
The question is NOT about Satelite dishes, and it is NOT about Foxtel boxes, just the specific question in the first paragraph. Thanks for understanding.
So,
1. We have good phone service on Telstra.
2. We have a Smart TV with a Google chromecast white HDMI thingo.
3. We have a multiroom Foxtel subscription at home with an iQ4 box.
The problem - ( I begrudgingly call it that , as we are supposed to be "getting away from it all"?).
Having confirmed there is no wi fi in the area, I set my
Android phone to WiFi Hotspot.
I then set the Google chromecast thingo to be on the same wifi (the one the phone is now producing).
I select the smart TV input to be the HDMI port that the chromecast thingo is plugged into.
i.e. i beleive we have a functioning system.
To check this -
I can open up the 9Now app, select a show, press the chromecast symbol on the top right of the phone screen, and hey presto, the picture & sound on the phone screen is now on the TV. Great.
I can repeat the above, with the 7 plus app. Good.
I can repeat the above with the Foxtel NOW app. Good.
i.e. the combination of the Android phone, Telstra signal, wi fi hotspot, chromecast thingo, and TV work together.
HOWEVER, when I try to repeat this with Foxtel Go , it all works right up until I press the chromecast symbol on the top right of the phone screen, and then the TV screen just has a message "Foxtel ready to cast" .Then nothing? When I look back at the phone screen, despite a Foxtel show playing on the screen , there is a message "no media selected"?
It makes sense, the TV is saying it's ready to go, but the casting at the phone end is saying there is nothing to cast?
Any ideas? Foxtel help has been pretty well exhausted. Foxtel.
I have also tried the phone generated wi fi on both selectable GHz bands, no difference. Thanks
As an aside, if I repeat all of the above at home, where there is real wi fi, EVERYTHING works just fine.
Thanks for reading a long post.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Foxtel Go , wifi hotspot??

Just as a query, are the apps that work also loaded as apps on the Smart TV? It could be that the app on the phone is just passing the details to the app on the TV and then the TV is taking over.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

In the phone settings if APN is set to Telstra Internet (Telstra.wap) try changing to Telstra Broadband (Telstra.internet). Also make sure APN protocol is set to IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6

Paul987654321

Hi, Thanks for replying. 

The apps that work, i.e 9now, 7 us, Foxtel Now, are all just on the phone.

As is the Foxtel Go, that does not work.

To me, it must be a bug in the Foxtel Go app, related to Hotspot generated wi fi, as all the other apps work over the same protocol without dramas.

I'll also try the othet reply by cf4.

Thanks again

Paul987654321

Thanks forvreying, I have looked in settings...cant find any APN type info?.

Can you direct me to it please...thanks

cf4

To change APN settings on the phone go to Settings > Network & Internet (If Samsung phone "Connections") > Mobile Network > Access Point Names  and select Telstra Broadband. If Telstra Broadband is not a choice select Add

Name Telstra Broadband

APN telstra.internet

MCC 505

MNC 01

APN Type dun

APN protocol

IPv4/IPv6

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit