Kell01
Level 2: Rookie

Foxtel on demand and catch up

I have been unable to access on demand or anytime catch-up for a few weeks now. I’ve been told that Telstra need to upgrade the box from iq2 to iq4, as they should have been fazed  out by now. 
I have tried several times through the chat service to have the box upgraded with no success. As I can’t get any Telstra employee on the phone. 
has anyone been able to successfully upgrade the old box, that Telstra should have done automatically without a cost to me?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Foxtel on demand and catch up

Telstra ran an email campaign some weeks ago to provide IQ3's to replace IQ2's because those earlier devices are no longer able to support On Demand.

You should use the My Telstra app, go to the Get Help tab, then click on the blue messaging chat icon..  ask if you can get onto the the replacement IQ3/IQ4 offer. It can take a while to get a response or get anywhere but be patient..  keep your questions clear and short to have the best result..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Kell01

Thanks Steve, unfortunately I was not included in mass mail out. I’ve tried several times through the chat option, and unfortunately for me I don’t get a response, or I’m told I have to pay for it, or I’m told to call tech support or I get I’m sorry we are receiving a really high number of messages

SteveW_52

You should still be able to get onto the offer, others have managed..

Are you using the My Telstra app. then Get Help and the blue chat icon? It can take hours to get a response..

What you can do, is once you get to the chat, in the top right there are three dots, click on that and mark your message as urgent..  then type "Consultant" or "Speak to a Consultant" and send the message..  that will put you into a queue to get messaged back..  provided that you don't log out of the app and have notifications enabled, you can then close the app until you receive the response - it can take many hours. But once you get the response you can start asking about the offer. You need to be patient. Depending on what IQ box you can get there may be a cost - there seems to be a shortage of IQ3's and the IQ4 is a satellite service so you will need to get an antenna installed. But discuss it with them, as to why that will cost, but you should at least get the replacement IQ box for free..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Kell01

Hi Steve 

I have tried again, and if I want to upgrade the iq2 I have to pay a fee. They have said it’s back of house that organizes the email and or replacement. If they trigger a replacement it will generate a fee. Nothing I can do. Apart from a complaint to the ombudsman or change providers. Considering Foxtel have a $99 platinum plus for only $20 extra to what I’m paying (I have only drama and kids) plus I get an iq4. So unless they magically start providing a better and consistent service, I’ll probably change providers. I’ve been asking for an upgrade for months on end, yet I still get a crappy expensive service. I might actually just can Foxtel altogether. Decisions decisions...

Kell01

SteveW_52

If you have references or screenshots of the messages (you can go back over your messages to do that on your device), then try lodging a complaint..

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

The ombudsman might help, but always better to have made the effort directly with Telstra, so you can demonstrate that..  if Telstra didn't contact you and are still charging for the IQ2 package, they have a responsibility to ensure you can receive the service you are paying for - it is their change that has affected On Demand..

The Telstra messaging support staff aren't always as clued up on Telstra systems as they could be, so lodging a complaint might get you better responses.

I know others have tried successfully to get the free upgrade including some that ended up with IQ4's..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

You need to show that you enquired about the free upgrade from IQ2...  and that you never got the email..

Stevo 52
Kell01

Hi Steve

thank you for that. Yes I have screenshots of the convo.

ive asked for the free upgrade, they said they can’t do it unless I get the email from back of house. 
the only emails I have received regarding Foxtel changes are: October regarding changes to channel numbers and January multi screen has been added until feb. 

I shall log a complaint, if I get no where (quite likely) I’ll just cancel and go with Foxtel themselves. 
thanks for your help!

SteveW_52

Good luck..

You do have an email (maybe two) registered against your Telstra account? That is probably where the email went..  if it was a Telstra /Bigpond account, you could look in Webmail, just in case...

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

You chat session looks different to the one I see on my Android...  are you definitely in the chat part of the My Telstra app?

Stevo 52
Kell01

Yes I am on chat.

Kell01

Here is a better screen sho

SteveW_52

That looks more like it..  that is what you need to send with your complaint, explaining you didn't get an email and ask why not! Why weren't you in the 'targeted' group? etc.  Also ask about compensation for the period you have not been able to use On Demand but have still been paying the same price for the service..

Stevo 52
Kell01

Hi Steve

the complaint didn’t have an option to upload any photos. 

SteveW_52

Not good, but I have sent images before, to the case manager, so all is not lost...

Stevo 52
Kell01

Hi Steve

do you know how long it takes for them to acknowledge that you’ve put a complaint in?

SteveW_52

It can take 5 working days or more unfortunately...  and I think the case managers are quite busy at present..

Stevo 52
Kell01

I’ve had my complaint settled..

foxtel is sending the iq4 they will charge the $185 but the complaints officer has credited my account $185.

should arrive next week

SteveW_52

A good outcome for you. Well done.

Stevo 52
Kell01

Thank you... I see the iq5 application for trademark was lodged this week in court.. they suspect it won’t be released either until later this year or early next year.. Telstra said it wasn’t available at all..

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit