Gav24088
Level 4: Private Eye

HD free to air channels not working on Foxtel IQ4

Answered

Hi all, I’ve recently installed an IQ4 to replace our IQ2. Despite doing multiple resets and full channel scans, we are unable to view prime 7, 9 or WIN 10 in their HD channels, only SD. They show up in the local channel sources, however there’s no “preview” of the transmission,  despite showing a strong signal. They also don’t show in the TV guide. On one occasion that a channel did appear, it had a “locked” symbol under it, and told me I needed to “upgrade” despite it being a FTA aerial channel and not part of my subscription service. I’ve removed & retightened the aerial cable both in the wall socket and on the back of unit several times to no avail. I’m not using any adaptors. The channels worked fine on our Telstra TV before we moved to the IQ4.  It’s very frustrating! Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gav24088
Accepted Solution

Re: HD free to air channels not working on Foxtel IQ4

So after all that I got onto the Foxtel website and decided to click on couple of links and found an option to order a replacement box. I took a chance and waited. I received it within a few days. Plugged it in and “wal-a”, all FTA HD channels work just fine.  Unfortunately no clear solution to the problem, but I’m assuming perhaps a fault with the tuner. Not that Foxtel were any great help. They wouldn’t have replaced the box if I’d asked. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
SER-K
Level 1: Cadet

We have the same issue. No HD FTA channels through IQ4. Used to be there a few weeks ago now gone. No problem with aerial as all FTA channels available when connecting direct to TV. What's going on Telstra? Why have these channels been removed from Foxtel when using IQ4?

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Maybe check with Foxtel, as it is their device. There may be a setting that needs to be changed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Maybe follow this troubleshooting guide  especially the channel scanning

https://www.foxtel.com.au/support/technical-support/free-to-air-troubleshooting/missing-channels/iq4...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Try this Foxtel trouble shooting guide..

https://www.foxtel.com.au/support/technical-support/free-to-air-troubleshooting/missing-channels/iq4...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Gav24088

Yep - already tried all that.  I spoke to a Foxtel tech via SMS. I was told it wasn’t their problem and it was an issue with signal strength. I argued that if this was the case, why does my Telstra TV pick up 56 channels and my IQ4 only 23 channels on the same aerial/cable? I got silence as a reply. I also went out and bought a powered digital splitter / amplifier which made no difference. Personally I suspect Foxtel is blocking the channels. That or the TV tuner on the IQ4 is inferior.

melhenn
Level 1: Cadet

I have the same problem. Did you get yours resolved at all?

Gav24088

Nope. I spoke to Telstra yesterday and they gave me a 1800 number for Foxtel faults. I’ll see how I go.

Gav24088

Response I got from Foxtel:

”Hi Gavin, This is not a technical fault, as you can access the normal Free to air channels that Foxtel can provide embedded on the box. The Free to air that you are trying to access is not part of Foxtel’s channels. What this means is that you can use an aerial cable and connect it to the back of the box, however, Foxtel will only borrow your TV antenna’s connection. Although this is the case, it seems that your Free to air connection doesn’t have the capability to acquire such a channel this is the reason why you are not getting your 9 HD. Free to air would depend on several factors. First is the type of box, second the type of connection, third it depends on your post code and last is if you have a free to air tuner connected to the box that you currently have. You’ve met the requirements, however, on your post code it is not available even if you connect a free to air tuner. Thus this means that you cannot get all free-to-air access even though you’ve connected an aerial cable. What Foxtel normally
recommends to our customers is that you can consult your local TV technician and see if they can increase the capability of your TV antenna connection to acquire more channels by increasing its signal strength.”

So there’s nothing wrong with my iq4, but it appears that there’s something wrong with my postcode..

Jupiter

What they are effectively confirming is that the tuner in the iQ4 is inferior to the Telstra TV and most other TVs.

Although that doesn't make much sense if you are picking up all the other channels from the same tower as the only effective difference between the SD and HD channels is bandwidth.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter wrote:

the only effective difference between the SD and HD channels is bandwidth.

@Jupiter   And I think that is the key to the problem being experienced..

Stevo 52
Jupiter

That shouldn't stop the channel from being detected, it would only stop the content (ie picture/sound) from being received reliably.

SteveW_52

Depends on the receiver design...

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Some posters are saying they only get SD FTA through Foxtel..  so that means a receiver issue (and that also equates to a lesser number of channels detected)..

Stevo 52
Jupiter

It could be a faulty co-ax cable. If the cable isn't crimped properly it can could issues with HD channel detection.

SteveW_52

Maybe but there has been comment that the antenna works fine on a TV ? and they get all the channels..

Stevo 52
Gav24088

Yep that’s right. Same cable plugged straight into either the Telstra TV or the TV itself gives 56 channels in perfect HD or SD. I don’t see how they can blame signal strength unless the IQ4 is inferior, or they don’t “embed” those channels in the IQ4 as the tech commented.  And the whole issue of “postcode” just seems confusing, especially when the channels are being broadcast from a tower that I have direct line-of-sight with!

SteveW_52

Post Code might be an issue depending on whether it is a border suburb - more to get the correct time etc.

Stevo 52
Gav24088
Accepted Solution

So after all that I got onto the Foxtel website and decided to click on couple of links and found an option to order a replacement box. I took a chance and waited. I received it within a few days. Plugged it in and “wal-a”, all FTA HD channels work just fine.  Unfortunately no clear solution to the problem, but I’m assuming perhaps a fault with the tuner. Not that Foxtel were any great help. They wouldn’t have replaced the box if I’d asked. 

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit