Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Important Changes To How You Order On Demand Pay Per View Programs

Got an email today announcing withdrawal of On-Demand ordering via the foxtel remote. The email says " The technology used to support purchasing with the remote control via a phone line connection is becoming unreliable". 

Well Telstra - in my household this procedure is very reliable and always works. So leave the functionality as is. I had to incur major cabling works through walls and ceiling to connect my IQ2 box to the phone line and I have no intention of undertaking more works to connect a 20m ethernet cable to my modem which is 4 rooms away! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Important Changes To How You Order On Demand Pay Per View Programs

Hey there 3081gadget,

It is highly likely that there is combination of reasons which have lead to this...

My understanding is that this is a change driven by Foxtel themselves rather than Telstra who are just reselling the service on their behalf...

I would say that given the uptake of On Demand via internet would have lead to that technology being less in demand and increasingly people are less likely to have PSTN connections and my understanding is that it also has issues working on the NBN Phone systems, which is going to lead to it essentially becoming obsolete one way or another.

That being said, you might find a powerline adaptor more helpful than running an ethernet cable. Both Foxtel and Telstra do have some, at one point Foxtel were even providing them for customer with internet enabled boxes to use while the service was active (similar to the box itself you just return if you ever cancel the service) but not sure if that is still the case.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

I have received the email regarding the withdrawal of the phone line service, which I perceive as being a manditory upgrade from my Standard Foxtel box, which I am happy to do, but an upgrade that I did not request.  As a Platinum customer, I am paying a substantial fee per month and in return I expect to receive a high standard of service and convenience, I am not paying a huge monthly fee and then be forced to go through the hassle of ringing Foxtel to then be stuffed around by a recorded voice, not to mention the time involved, when I want to order movies!  This is not an acceptable alternative.  So Telstra or Foxtel you better not have the audacity to charge me for a new Foxtel box?!!?? 

Highlighted

WHY? My remote works just fine!!

But if you must, who will be paying for the changes? My modem is in the study and the Foxtel box is in the family room. I am certainly not having ethernet cables running along the hallway or up the stairs, and I am certainly not paying for a modem to be near the foxtel box, especially when these changes are not due to a purchase I have made.

I re-signed a contract in early 2015 for another 2 years, after already being a loyal customer for over 10 years, for the products I have, so if you don't mind I would like to keep the products I have working the way they currently are until the end of my current contract - if I made changes to the contract I am sure I would be charged to do so, so therefore can you please tell me where I send Telstra the invoice for making changes to my contract??  

Highlighted

Under the customer terms Telstra can change the details of a service. They do have to give you a notice period, and inform you in writing (or via email based on your preferred contact method). There are times where changes do have to be made for a range of reasons, in the case of Foxtel a lot of those changes are made by Foxtel and as a reseller Telstra just have to follow suit. Especially with a change like this one which would be considered a minor alteration.

If your Foxtel box is away from the router, you wouldn't need to move the router, but the use of something like a power line adaptor will help with connecting them up.

JB11, if you felt to upgrade your box you would need to discuss that change with the account team to identify if any charges would apply with the change.

Also it is worth noting you can still access the on demand services by ordering them over the phone by calling 131999 and say "order on demand"
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Hi Dr Qwerty - I have the top of the range subscription plus My Other Room and bundled in with internet, landline, and mobiles. So, to Telstra, I am a highly profitable customer. The least they could do is supply me with 2 powerline adaptors to enable Wifi connection to my modem router instead of being forced to buy them!!
Highlighted

Hey 3081gadget,

You will not have me disagree that it would be good for them to provide them... As I did say, Foxtel were providing them for the Foxtel services while the service remained active, I have a set which I got from Foxtel at no cost to connect my IQ Box to my router that they installed when they set it up... and I know they were providing them on request to existing customers as well, and they were ones which they had apparently tested and found to work best with the Foxtel Boxes...

That being said, if they are no longer providing them, you could also try Telstra and see if they will provide them...

I am not sure if they will but that would be based on a discussion with a customer service person... or you could try complaints also and see if they can/will waive the cost of the powerline adaptor for you...

I mean legally, they have no real requirement to do so, but they might be willing to do so... it depends on who you get and often how the conversation goes...
Helpful Links

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit