Denpea
Level 1: Cadet

My 3 iq2 boxes no longer support on demand.

Answered

So will it cost to upgrade?

If so I’ll get them disconnected.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: My 3 iq2 boxes no longer support on demand.

Foxtel took On Demand away from IQ2's and earlier devices, earlier this year. Telstra ran an email cmpaign to advise customers - offering free upgrades. That offer has expired and if you didn't get one of those emails, then chances are that the upgrade will definitely cost you, for installation. I believe even IQ3's are in sort supply, the the likely upgrade will be to IQ4. IQ4's are satellite service units for live broadcasts, with internet used for some streaming/on demand. But you would need to get the satellite dish/s - the costly bit..

I would ask a few questions though about the offer made/why you weren't advised etc. to see if you can get some sort of discounted upgrades? If you can find a copy of that earlier email - you may even be able to do it for free..  but don't hold your breath! It will take some discussion with Telstra to help you decide what your best course of action is.

If you decide to ditch Foxtel, just cancel your services - I doubt they will want the boxes returned..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Foxtel took On Demand away from IQ2's and earlier devices, earlier this year. Telstra ran an email cmpaign to advise customers - offering free upgrades. That offer has expired and if you didn't get one of those emails, then chances are that the upgrade will definitely cost you, for installation. I believe even IQ3's are in sort supply, the the likely upgrade will be to IQ4. IQ4's are satellite service units for live broadcasts, with internet used for some streaming/on demand. But you would need to get the satellite dish/s - the costly bit..

I would ask a few questions though about the offer made/why you weren't advised etc. to see if you can get some sort of discounted upgrades? If you can find a copy of that earlier email - you may even be able to do it for free..  but don't hold your breath! It will take some discussion with Telstra to help you decide what your best course of action is.

If you decide to ditch Foxtel, just cancel your services - I doubt they will want the boxes returned..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

DVS1979

That’s bull crap they did not offer free upgrades to IQ3, they just said that we lose demand services because IQ2 customers did not use them but they never surveyed us as we used it all the time. Telstra have said we get a free IQ3 but no IQ3’s are available, how convenient! How can they offer Foxtel to new customers if IQ3 is not available? We are all being scammed by Telstra and Foxtel to get of of the bundles they use to offer.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

They can offer Foxtel to new customers as iQ4 boxes are available (which everyone is going to have to move to within the next 2 years as Foxtel moves to Satellite only delivery as their agreement for HFC delivery comes to an end in 2023).

Foxtel did offer free upgrades in the 3 quarter of last year (had to be accepted by 20 January 2021), but some people didn't receive the offer. It was emailed out and I don't know what criteria they used (should have at least been those customers that had used On Demand in the past).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DVS1979

So what your saying is they have no intention to provide the IQ3 boxes and they are just smoking us all out to get off cable to satellite? Funny that, as the conversation with support was we don’t have any IQ3 waiting on order but you can have IQ4 with a satellite! I have a cable, I don’t want a satellite dish hanging off my roof. They have taken demand services charged more and now want me to stump up the cost for IQ4, **bleep** way to treat long term customers! Being truthful isn’t hard!

Jupiter

Well, the announcement around the move to satellite only was announced quite a while ago (including in the mainstream media). So they were hardly hiding the fact that it was going to happen.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DVS1979

As a customer since 2010 this has never been communicated to me, so I did a search and you are correct in 2018 I found this comment from a punter, funny it is 2021 and they have not communicated the change to me at all, they have actually said we are waiting on IQ3 boxes:-

Sandra Martin 7 May 18

Interesting to read your post! We also rang to have our iq2 box upgraded to an iq3. We are on cable and there was no mention of having to change to sat-elite. Appointment was made for tech to come out and do the change over (no cost!). The day before it was cancelled. New appointment made and 1 hour before tech was due he rang to say he had no iq’s to install. Also that our old box could not be used in another room – it would have to go back with him and we needed to delete all recorded programs which we did. Further calls resulted in that apparently Fox is going over to salelite and that is the reason for no further installations of iq’s for cable customers – what supply they do have is reserved for satellite customers only!! For us at the moment we will most likely give Foxtel the flick!! and enjoy Netflicks & or Stan as another option.

My message from Telstra last night:-

Hi, thanks for being patient with us. Continuing on this conversation, I might be needing to clarify more details to help you with your concern.

As there's a delay of sending the Foxtel iQ3 set up box due to stock availability and since Satellite is already available to your premise, you may also have an option to upgrade to Satellite and get the iQ4 set up box instead.

Let us know your thoughts.

@Jupiter so do you think they have been truthful in there correspondence with me?

Jupiter

I don't know if there will be any more iQ3 boxes become available. There have been serious chip shortages in all electronics due to a severe drought in Taiwan. So it is possible that Foxtel might get some more in, but I'd seriously doubt it as they become obsolete shortly anyway.

As far as what the Telstra consultant has told you, that depends on what Foxtel has told Telstra. If Foxtel still has the iQ3 as an active product, then what the Telstra consultant has told you is the truth as far as Telstra is aware.

DVS1979

@JupiterSo if Telstra did a search like you suggested they would know from Foxtel that IQ3 boxes are being phases out for cable customers. So what you are saying is Telstra who supply them to customers are in the dark about this? As I was in the dark, until you pointed it out, it had been in main stream media since 2018, 3 years!  So on your logic Telstra don’t know what the truth is they are telling there Foxtel customers who are on cable but suggest you can get satellite, please save me from the bull....s$&t!

This is blatantly lying 🤥 behaviour !

Jupiter

OK. I'll make the point of what I actually said a bit clearer.

Telstra can only pass on the information that they have been officially given by Foxtel.

terryc01
Level 2: Rookie

I did that and still got charged. I have been trying to get the charge reversed for several months now. Keep being told that it has been credited to my account when it hasn't and have now formally raised a complaint.

Below is the email text confirming that the upgrade is no cost.

"Due to unprecedented demand we are currently unable to fulfil your order for a Cable iQ3 box upgrade. As an alternative, you may be eligible to transition your Foxtel Cable service to a Satellite service. The satellite service will include Professional Installation of a satellite dish at your home at no cost and we’ll provide you with a complimentary Satellite iQ4 box."

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit