Rabbit7
Level 2: Rookie

SBS on demand and audio remote

Answered

I currently have a Platinum Foxtel service through Telstra subscription with a complimentary Netflix service. I have an IQ4 box with a 4 (?) week old audio remote.

I watch SBS on Demand frequently, through the Foxtel connection. Increasingly, for every episode of a series the screen will go blank, usually about halfway through, or just past halfway point of the episode. Previously, pressing <back> and then <select> would retrieve the screen. Now, increasingly, I need to power off the Foxtel box, then power back on. This process often needs more than one attempt. This process also loses the point at which the episode stopped.

The second issue is that the new audio remote is now “going dead” without warning. Batteries have been replaced, and taking the batteries out then putting back in appears to help. Repairing through Bluetooth may or may not be required. This “going dead” is now occurring up to 3 times a day.

Watching SBS on demand directly through my 3-month-old Sony Bravia Smart TV works fine. Audio is via a Cambridge TV5 V2 soundbar. The reluctance to use the TV direct rather than through the Foxtel box is that there is a significant sound adjustment required and requires the fiddling around with three remote controls (and then the reverse adjustments required in reverting back to the Foxtel box). My NBN download speed is consistently around 50Mbps

Actually, it does beg the question of why have a Foxtel box at all.

Please advise solutions.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Rabbit7
Accepted Solution

Re: SBS on demand and audio remote

Jupiter,

Many thanks! I have already applied the tissue fix and anticipate the problem will be resolved.

With the SBS issue I will follow your advice and contact SBS, but as advised the issue only occurs when accessing through the IQ4 box, not when viewed directly from the TV.

View solution in original post

Rabbit7
Accepted Solution

Remote remains fixed!

As advised by Jupiter, SBS were obliging. They advised an IQ4 reset (No. ????) and to turn off the NBN modem for 5 minutes. Success! and I advised SBS accordingly.... but it was all premature. After 2 films and three episodes of SBS on demand, the freezing of screen has returned. (This was Sunday)  However <back>, <select> works again.  Today, Monday, no issues? (though limited viewing). On Sunday I did note that maybe 5-10 minutes before screen freezing, closed captions began to be significantly in advance of actual dialogue on screen and this has been apparent previously. Issues do not occur when accessing SBS on Demand directly from TV. SBS or Foxtel issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

For SBS on Demand, you should probably contact SBS. They are usually pretty good at tracking down the causes of any faults in their streaming service.

The Audio Remote issue sounds like the batteries are not keeping in contact properly. I have an AV receiver remote that has the same problem. Get a bit of tissue and fold it over a few times and place between the batteries and the compartment door. Don't make it too thick or you will damage the door. Just enough to make it a firm feel to close.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rabbit7
Accepted Solution

Jupiter,

Many thanks! I have already applied the tissue fix and anticipate the problem will be resolved.

With the SBS issue I will follow your advice and contact SBS, but as advised the issue only occurs when accessing through the IQ4 box, not when viewed directly from the TV.

Rabbit7
Accepted Solution

Remote remains fixed!

As advised by Jupiter, SBS were obliging. They advised an IQ4 reset (No. ????) and to turn off the NBN modem for 5 minutes. Success! and I advised SBS accordingly.... but it was all premature. After 2 films and three episodes of SBS on demand, the freezing of screen has returned. (This was Sunday)  However <back>, <select> works again.  Today, Monday, no issues? (though limited viewing). On Sunday I did note that maybe 5-10 minutes before screen freezing, closed captions began to be significantly in advance of actual dialogue on screen and this has been apparent previously. Issues do not occur when accessing SBS on Demand directly from TV. SBS or Foxtel issue?

Rabbit7

It appears I just replied to myself. Sorry.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit