duaneharry1
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Foxtel NBN bundle confusion. Foxtel App or IQ box???

Answered

We have recently come across from cable internet to a NBN bundle which includes internet, mobile phone and foxtel. We have a IQ 2 foxtel box so I assumed it wasn't needed now as the cable is being discontinued. We logged into Foxtel through the app on our smart TV and everything was fine for a month. It has since stopped working saying we have to pay for a multiscreen subscription. Am I doing something wrong? Can I still use my IQ box that is now in storage??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Foxtel NBN bundle confusion. Foxtel App or IQ box???

OK (I know how the modems work by the way)..  so your internet service is no longer on cable/NBN HFC if you are connecting the modem to a phone point. Your service is now delivered over the DSL (and you have connected the cable from the wall socket to the modem DSL port).

Do you still have a coax (cable/HFC) cable from a wall point (Foxtel/Telstra - threaded F Type connector) to your IQ2? and have you turned the IQ2 on to see if it still works with live programs - you won't get any on demand stuff though.?

Upgrading will probably be to an IQ4 I think, based on reports from others so there will need to be a satellite dish installed and that might incur additional cost unless you can convince Telstra that you should have been on the free IQ upgrade programme..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52

The IQ2 devices no longer work with On Demand and some other Foxtel services. Was your Foxtel direct with Foxtel or via Telstra? Telstra offered a free upgrade from IQ2 to IQ3 or IQ4 which closed about a month ago..  so bear that in mind when trying to work out a solution that suits you.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
duaneharry1

Hi Steve, Foxtel is thru Telstra. When I rang to arrange the move to NBN I did ask what will happen to my bundle as I wanted to keep the same bundle. I was told there would be no change to my bundle and I would save money. When my NBN box and new modem arrived I followed the instructions and set it up. The set up was easy except I didn't realise I had to find the master phone socket to have to NBN working and not thru the sim card back up. This wasn't in the instructions and I only found out when I rang telstra. Anyway, I guess I better call Telstra tomorrow and hopefully I'll get it sorted. If cable is being discontinued how would an upgrade to IQ3/4 work??

SteveW_52

When you say you had to find the master telephone socked, was that so you could connect the handset to the new Telstra modem?

HFC cable will be active until 2023 I think..  IQ3's will work on that

But for the upgrade offer several people have reported getting upgraded to IQ4 instead, which requires a satellite dish. Satellite is Foxtel long term delivery standard.

Stevo 52
duaneharry1

Hi Steve,

I had to find the master phone socket so my NBN would work rather than on the backup sim. The Telstra modem light goes green when on NBN and blue when backup sim is operating if NBN goes offline. I don't use my phone line so haven't bothered plugging into back of modem. 

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

OK (I know how the modems work by the way)..  so your internet service is no longer on cable/NBN HFC if you are connecting the modem to a phone point. Your service is now delivered over the DSL (and you have connected the cable from the wall socket to the modem DSL port).

Do you still have a coax (cable/HFC) cable from a wall point (Foxtel/Telstra - threaded F Type connector) to your IQ2? and have you turned the IQ2 on to see if it still works with live programs - you won't get any on demand stuff though.?

Upgrading will probably be to an IQ4 I think, based on reports from others so there will need to be a satellite dish installed and that might incur additional cost unless you can convince Telstra that you should have been on the free IQ upgrade programme..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit