togax
Level 4: Private Eye

Upgrading from IQ2 to IQ3

I have an old IQ2 FOXTEL box and because I'm now in NBN I have lost the FOXTEL On Demand feature. I have HFC cable to the home with a splitter and in-line amp to boost the signal for driving two FOXTEL boxes as well and the Internet modem. I now only have one FOXTEL box. If I swap out the IQ2 box and replace it with an IQ3 one, does it connect to the cable wall socket like the IQ2 or only to the Internet modem via an Ethernet cable? Also, I hear stories about the need for satellite dish. Is this so, or is everything available via the Ethernet cable?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Upgrading from IQ2 to IQ3

The iQ3 plugs into the cable outlet like the iQ2 did. The Ethernet port (or wifi) connects to your modem. 

The satellite is for an iQ4 box that you will have to upgrade to by mid 2023 as Foxtel is migrating all connections to satellite by then. They will no longer use cable transmission after that time. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
togax

Thanks for the information. I did know about the 2023 date. A lot of people, including myself will not be bothered to install a sat dish. The whole point of the NBN is to use it for all services. Time to look for alternatives. What will happen to FOXTEL GO?

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

As long as you are subscribed to Foxtel, you should have Foxtel Go, which is browser or app based based depending on where you watch it...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

Foxtel Go continues to operate as it currently does. However, you need to have a Foxtel service to get it.

You would need to change to a Foxtel Now subscription instead.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
togax

Yes, I am considering switching over to FOXTEL Now but I'm also still considering other options. I'm taking my time as there's no urgency. Thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit