Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

why does foxtel require you to use a non-vpn service to use their webpages?

You cant even "contact us" as the web pages fail. Leaving a phone number is a waste of time, they dont call you back. a disappointing start to trying to get a service through foxtel/telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: why does foxtel require you to use a non-vpn service to use their webpages?

The simple answer is "geofencing". Foxtel only has the rights to screen/stream programs within Australia. By using a VPN, it shows up as being a foreign address and the system blocks it.

Foxtel has chosen to block a number of their pages from foreign visitors so that they have less issues around people trying to sign up when they can't.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

If you are getting Foxtel through Telstra, then anything you want to do with Foxtel you must go through the Foxtel tab on the Telstra homepage, not the Foxtel page.
Fred Froggerty : A Telstra HD Premium with Foxtel through Telstra. A consumer of NSW. Not employed by anyone, and the answers I supply here are just my personal experiences I share in the hope they can help you, as they have helped me.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

the vpn service is operating in australia and ipaddr lookups say it is in brisbane, so geofencing shouldnt be a problem.

it isnt just the channel watching, it is their whole site.

so you cannot log a service call, ask for assistance or check to see if you can get a service unless you disable your vpn.

anyway it is more of a curiosity than anything. if I need to chat with them, I will use a numpty box.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit